• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cichlid46816

cichlid46816

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:44 PM

Ok these little buggers look like C.Elegans but the supra shield( base of dorsal fin ) has a white spot. Also the dorsal fins has a black spot in it, not the black bands. The tailfin ( caudal fin ) has no markings in them that I acn see.

I know these are pretty bad pictures but they are very active fish, and shy fish.

Posted Image[img]
other pics deleted to make more room

will post more or better pics as I take them.. Trust me out of 100 pictures these where the best i could get.. I'll keep trying

edited for pictures sake

Edited by cichlid46816, 20 April 2005 - 04:10 PM.

#2 stina

stina

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:I have many... but mostly L# and cory's

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:55 AM

Could you post some better picture?!
This way it looks like c.napoensis or c.bilineatus... i am not 100% sure!!
best regards
Vedran

#3 cichlid46816

cichlid46816

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:01 AM

Trust me I am trying. These little buggers are quick, and very active.
I might have to catch them and transfer them to a smaller tank, for picture taking.

From what I can see C. Napoensis is minus the black spot in dorsal and no white supra shield. ( searched google images,looked at approx 30pictures)

Could you post some better picture?!
This way it looks like c.napoensis or c.bilineatus... i am not 100% sure!!
best regards
Vedran

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 stina

stina

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:I have many... but mostly L# and cory's

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:34 AM

Yes you are right!
By the head shape i see it is not c.napoensis... ;)
Well, than it must be c.bilineatus! :D
He he, no really , when i look at them closley they are similiar to the c.bilineatus that i have in my gallery... ;)
regards
Vedran

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:38 PM

mmm! looks a bit like napoensis to me. When Ian pops back in he may be able to give his opinon.

I have attached my bilineatus, two pairs, with the males having the bands on the body and the females plainer. They do tend to have ochre/yellow coloured fins.

Attached Files

Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#6 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Corydoradinae, Loricariidae

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:17 AM

This one seems to be a popular question cropping up in three forums.

We have a number of species that fall into this closely related group, affectionately know as the "Elegans group" The main confusing ones are C. bilineatus Bolivia, C, napoensis Peru, C126 peru, C123, Peru and an unclassified species known as C. sp. 'San Juan' now my guess would be the last of the bunch. Also added to this the fish in the picture does not look very big and that can also have a bearing as the colour pattern can and will change as the fish matures and they could be juvenile C. bilineatus or C. napoensis.

Not a lot of help I'm afraid but I would not like to commit to a positive id without knowing the exact locality from where the fish was caught.

Ian
Visit the home of Corydoradinae catfish
Corydoras World
Join the world premier catfish group
The Catfish Study Group

#7 SanDiegoFishes

SanDiegoFishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:55 AM

This one seems to be a popular question cropping up in three forums.

We have a number of species that fall into this closely related group, affectionately know as the "Elegans group" The main confusing ones are C. bilineatus Bolivia, C, napoensis Peru, C126 peru, C123, Peru and an unclassified species known as C. sp. 'San Juan' now my guess would be the last of the bunch. Also added to this the fish in the picture does not look very big and that can also have a bearing as the colour pattern can and will change as the fish matures and they could be juvenile C. bilineatus or C. napoensis.

Not a lot of help I'm afraid but I would not like to commit to a positive id without knowing the exact locality from where the fish was caught.

Ian

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! I am one of the folks who also just got some of these corys, mine were labeled at the store as" Corydoras sp. San Juan". Here is a photo of some of mine, they are so fast and busy all the time they are hard to photograph. These all have a triangular white patch at the base of the head by the dorsal fin. I also have C. napoensis babies of about the same size, they lack the white patch.
Best, Barb

Posted Image

#8 cichlid46816

cichlid46816

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:26 PM

well its been awhile since I posted this question and got some replies.
Here are a few pics of them grown up, The white spot at the base of the supra shield has faded away on 3 out of 6 of them but still is visible on the other 3.
I have recieved 2 batches of eggs from this group so far. Each batch was between 5 and 7 eggs The eggs are about 1/2 the size of Aeneus and really hard, most of the eggs ended up dropping into the substrate after 24 hours. None of the eggs where placed on the glass all where in the bottom side of the Java Fern.
I have moved them to a seperate tank by themselves with a very thin layer of sand. They have calmed down, way down and I know can get some pictures.
Hope these pics help some.

LOL! I am one of the folks who also just got some of these corys, mine were labeled at the store as" Corydoras sp. San Juan".  Here is a photo of some of mine, they are so fast and busy all the time they are hard to photograph. These all have a triangular white patch at the base of the head by the dorsal fin. I also have C. napoensis babies of about the same size, they lack the white patch.
Best, Barb

Attached Files

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:46 PM

They look like napoensis to me now that they have put on some growth. The males tend to have a blotch on the dorsal and the female is clear, or only has a slight mark to the fin.

In the so called elegans group the eggs are very tiny and as you say, half the size of aeneus.

Well done on the spawning by the way :)
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#10 cichlid46816

cichlid46816

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

~~Well done on the spawning by the way ~~

well I didn't say i got any wigglers or fry out of the bunch just that they laid the eggs. :(
Maybe next time I will be able to get to them before they get lost in the substrate..
I noticed that they didn't spawn after a waterchange but actually spawned after the tank got some natural sunlight raising the temperature of the tank by 3 or 4 degrees during the day. maybe the lowering of temp during the night pursuaded them to lay the eggs who knows but I have them seperated in there own tank. Hopefully next time I'll be quick enough to gather a few eggs..

#11 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

You will maybe get a surprise in a few days when you see something scooting across the gravel :)
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users