• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Reading, surfing the net, D.I.Y., painting (canvases), keeping pets: 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 30 stick insects and my tropical tanks! Phew!!

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hi Everyone!

I bought 2 corydoras last night, they were sold to me as Tocantino, but I can't find them anywhere in books or online. I was wondering if with your vast collective expert knowledge you might be able to give me a name or number for my fish?! Has that massaged a few egos?!!! Lol!!! My 3 year old daughter thinks they're seals!!!! Bless! I have been given numbers C135, C109 (closest match but not spot on) and C042 to mention a few.

I will attach photos.

Also, does it look like I've got a pair, on photo #3 with the 2 together the one at the back looks larger and plumper?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Hayley

Attached Files

• Attached File  b4.jpg   78.75KB   17 downloads

Main tank: 1 Baby Ancistrus Ranunculus, 2 C42 Corydoras, 1 Cardinal Tetra, 1 male Red Hi-Fin Platy, 1 mickey mouse platy, 1 comet platy, 1 orange wagtail platy, 5 Kryptopterus minor and 8 C. weitzmani

Daughters tank: 1 Starlight Ancistrus (White Seam), 1 Female Red Hi-Fin Platys, around 15 young platys of different ages and 6 C. sp 'Gold Laser'

Q tank: 10 male Yellow wagtail and Comet Platys, 4 C. ambiacus, 3 C.loxozonus and 6 C. aeneus

Other Daughters tank: 18 female Yellow Wagtail Platy babies

3 Hospital/spare tanks: Empty!

Still haven't managed to get rid of those platys!!!!!

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hi Haley,

They look like C145 to me but I am a bit put off with the marking in the dorsal. I shall give coryman a PM to get him to put his tuppence worth in smile.gif As you say also in pic.3 you may have the female in the background as the body markings are not so intense.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Reading, surfing the net, D.I.Y., painting (canvases), keeping pets: 1 dog, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 30 stick insects and my tropical tanks! Phew!!

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for your help Scotcat, I shall go and quick look at C145 now!!
Main tank: 1 Baby Ancistrus Ranunculus, 2 C42 Corydoras, 1 Cardinal Tetra, 1 male Red Hi-Fin Platy, 1 mickey mouse platy, 1 comet platy, 1 orange wagtail platy, 5 Kryptopterus minor and 8 C. weitzmani

Daughters tank: 1 Starlight Ancistrus (White Seam), 1 Female Red Hi-Fin Platys, around 15 young platys of different ages and 6 C. sp 'Gold Laser'

Q tank: 10 male Yellow wagtail and Comet Platys, 4 C. ambiacus, 3 C.loxozonus and 6 C. aeneus

#4 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Corydoradinae, Loricariidae

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

Hayley,

I am pretty sure you have C115, There are two distinct colour forms one like your and the other, which was given the number C116 has an additional triangular dark patch in the center of the body. also the dark dorsal marking can be variable some specimens show horizontal baring where as in others they show a large dark patch.

Ian

C115

C116

Visit the home of Corydoradinae catfish
Corydoras World
Join the world premier catfish group
The Catfish Study Group

#5 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hi Ian

Thanks for that.

You could be right, they look pretty close but my ones look like they've got more sculpted/ armour plated heads, no spots on the heads, quite long noses and the markings are muted like the black stripe and the spots they are more of a grey...I dunno!

I didn't realise how many different types there were until I started looking for mine!!! They are lovely fish, I can see how people get hooked on them, if you pardon the pun!!

#6 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

I've had another look and they look very similar to C109 and quite like C042. This is so confusing!

Their faces are more like C032 C.blochi but they haven't got as much black on the fin, if it's any help they're about 5cm maybe just a touch longer?

Scotcat

I couldn't find a C145, I am looking online but can't seem to find one! Never mind!

Sorry to be a pain, but it does give you all something to do doesn't it!!!

#7 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hayley, if you can find out from your supplier where they originated from. You mentioned "Tocantino" which may be suggest that they are from the Tocantins River in Brazil which would rule out C115/C116 as they come from Peru, Rio Madre de Dios, which straddles the Bolivian/Peru border.

If they are from the Tocantins they would be shipped out from Belem in Brazil but if they are C115/C116 as Ian suggests they may be shipped from Lima in Peru. So you may be able to find out if it was a Brazilian or Peruvian shipment.

The only picture I have of C145 is in Ian Fullers (aka Coryman) excellent book "Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish" which you can get a link to from my books page here

Just to even confuse you (or us) more is that C145 originates from the Rio Tapijos in Brazil which is more west than the Tocantins and these Cory's I would guess would be shipped out of Manaus. Good fun isn't it smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#8 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have now had a closer look at the pictures of the fish and have had change of mind, I would now favour C42 these come from the Rondonia region of Brazil and are often exported out of Peru. and thinking about the C115/6's these have never been imported into the UK as far as I know, the only ones I know of are my group, which came from Germany as 1" youngsters.

C42

Ian
Corydoras World
The Catfish Study Group

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

I would tend to side with Ian's assumption that they are C42s Hayley. Have a look here
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#10 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Thank you both Allan and Ian for the great info and your time identifying!

I have just bought Ian's book so that I can try to identify any others I may get!!

Ian,

I thought it was called the Valley, but when you say that to people they say no it was so and so! That's put my mind at rest! Thanks again, I'm looking forward to reading that book now! Ian are you the Coryman on TTF too?

Cheers again both!

As a new comer to catfish I shall no doubt be back on again with some question or other!

#11 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:40 PM

I thought it was called the Valley, but when you say that to people they say no it was so and so! That's put my mind at rest! Thanks again, I'm looking forward to reading that book now! Ian are you the Coryman on TTF too?

Cheers again both!

As a new comer to catfish I shall no doubt be back on again with some question or other!

The Valley Inn it was called, I remember it well although I never ever had a drink there.

Yep! 'Coryman' is the handle I use most places except on my own site and just to be different we use real names only, it's a members only forum so the need for aliases is not necessary, and we show real 'Mug' shots no avatars.

Ian
Corydoras World
The Catfish Study Group

#12 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

The Valley Inn it was called, I remember it well although I never ever had a drink there.

Aye right biggrin.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#13 Hayley

Hayley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for that, I thought you were the same person!! In that case Tim said he hasn't spoken to you since (I think he said) Christmas.

Your book arrived this morning, it looks great, I had a quick flick through but I will have a good read of it tonight! Ian (Plankton) was after one so I told him how to get it, so you may be hearing from him at some point.

Lol! The Valley Inn, you wouldn't drink in it now either!!! Not unless an old dear puts the kettle on for you!!

Thanks again!

Hayley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users