• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shavon

shavon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

I bought this fish and don't know what it is. It was labeled as a common pleco but I believe it is a type of synodontis catfish. I can't get a good picture of it because it hides all the time. It only comes out long enough to hurry to a new hiding place. If anyone could help identify it, I would appreciate it.

Attached File  Fish77.JPG   19.84KB   1 downloads Attached File  Fish76.JPG   23.29KB   6 downloads

#2 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

Even though the quality of your photo's are poor, and makes a positive I.D. impossible; However, Yes it does look like a Synodontis species.

Have you looked in the "images/photo gallery" section under mochokidae, to see if any of the photo's there match your fish?

Shot in the dark here, but with what looks like a stripped caudal fin & a spotty adipose this this is one syno that can be found in most LFS and may well be your catfish?

Synodontis eupterus

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#3 shavon

shavon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

I am sorry that I can't get a better pic of it. It more closely reselmbles the Synodontis robbianus. I'm not sure if this is accurate or not. It is just my opinion. This is a pic I found of the Synodontis robbianus.

Attached File  s_robbianus.jpg   19.21KB   1 downloads

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

First of all welcome to the SC forums smile.gif

As medaka says it is difficult to I.D. your Syno from the pic but S.nigrita is quite a common Syno in the trade.

Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#5 shavon

shavon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

I was cleaning the tank today and decided to take out all decorations. I did this to try and get some better pictures. I managed to get a few that were better but they are still a little blurry. The video turned out much better but can't upload it. lol. Hopefully these will help identify it.

Thanks, Shavon

Attached File  100_0323.JPG   25.12KB   1 downloadsAttached File  100_0339.JPG   18.27KB   2 downloadsAttached File  100_0337.JPG   30.82KB   1 downloadsAttached File  100_0326.JPG   28.39KB   1 downloads

#6 Bagrus dude

Bagrus dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:41 PM

Synodontis nigrita

#7 shavon

shavon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts