#1 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

Hi,
We are redecorating so I have had to move my oscars , synos, talking cats and synos to another tank. It has been a week now but things
are not looking good. I don't know if it the sandy substrate after gravel or just stress because he has no hiding place but one of my synos, the subordinate one of the 2 is semi in the open as are my polypterus. I have had a similar temporary situation when I move decor but never this long. He is quite an old chap at 17 so I can't help but worry. He will end up in my 10ft tank within the year when the little fish are moved out.
http://flickr.com/ph...N04/2724275161/
What do you think?
Alison

He has no actual injuries or skin lesions. He is usually a lot darker, dark brown and light brown with mottled pattern like syno koensis, syno schoutedini.Attached File  syno.jpg   241.34KB   6 downloads

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi Alison,

Your link doesent appear to work, but what I would advise is to put in a pipe or similar hiding place for your Syno's even a short piece of plastic as it does sound that stress, with being out in the open so long, is not helping them to settle down.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hi,
there are plenty of hiding spaces, bogwood, rocks, a whole partion sectioned off which used to house a filter. Don't know why the link doesn't work...
Alison

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hi Alison,

Link works fine now. The humeral process looks very pale which I haven't seen like that before but I would still think that stress could be the problem. I would imagine that the water parameters are the same from the last tank ?

I'm asking these questions although I know that you are experienced with your fishes, but maybe another angle may help. smile.gif

Another question....is your Oscar harassing the Syno's now that he/she is in another tank/surroundings.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#5 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi Allan,
Yes it is that I was worried about - he never looks that colour. Do you think it could be damage?
Oscars have actually been really laid back and not as much of a problem as usual, well until today.
He is looking ok but colour not good. Water is pretty much the same with all the normal parameters
and I acclimatised slowly as well just in case. I think it might be a territory thing. The tank is a 250 ish gallon koi vat with a glass front. I have converted the filter area to use. Lots of holes lead through. The talking cats are all living happily in the filter area. The other syno also spends time in there. I have tried lots of bogwood or some pieces and nothing seems to help. If it wasn't for this pink humeral process then I wouldn't be too worried but he is an oldie and one of my original fish and I can't help panicking! I ahve posted on PC too but no replies yet.
Alison

#6 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

Hi Allison,

Usually Syno's are pretty tough but another angle I am looking at is the water. You do say that the water parameters are the same, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates, (if it is new water) although the latter should not pose too much of a problem with bigger fish. What about chlorine in the water although I would imagine with your knowledge that they may all be all right. Its quite frustrating trying to sort out problems from a distance and I hope that everything settles down in due course.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#7 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi,
yes, the water was pretreated for chlorine.
Good news is there is no worsening - in fact I can't see all of him at the moment. Off colour but not unhealthy looking.
Alison

#8 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

This old guy survived quite happily for nearly another 4 years

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Good to hear Alison....these Syno's are real tough guys :)
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users