3 replies to this topic

#1 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Corydoradinae, Loricariidae

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I am now getting fairly regular spawnings from one of my groups of C. weitzmani. I have yet to witness the event even after many hours of watching. They are definitely do it in the dark types and the do not produce very many eggs, unless there is a fair amount of egg predation and the fact that they are laying at night it's almost impossible to tell. I now have three broods 12, 8 and 21 hopefully they will become more prolific as time goes by.

Ian
Visit the home of Corydoradinae catfish
Corydoras World
Join the world premier catfish group
The Catfish Study Group

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

What would you say the size of the eggs are Ian, or have the fry just appeared ?
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Coryman

Coryman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Corydoradinae, Loricariidae

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

What would you say the size of the eggs are Ian, or have the fry just appeared ?

The eggs are 1.8 mm diameter. the one group are obviously spawning unobserved regularly because there are one or two fry of differing ages in the breeding tank.

Ian
Visit the home of Corydoradinae catfish
Corydoras World
Join the world premier catfish group
The Catfish Study Group

#4 mona o

mona o

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

Very interesting:-) I read all I can find on this spec. of Cory now.

I'm about to buy a group of these Corys myself later this week, and I'm now searching around the internet for info about the best possible care for them. Of course I would like to try to breed them some time in the future.
The fish I'm about to buy is wild caught from Peru, and I would like to give them the best care after all transport stress.

Is there anything specific I should have in mind? Subdued lightning usually helps stressed out fishes, but anything else beside lots of cover so they feel safe?

Previously I've only spawned my Corydoras sterbai (3 times) and my Corydoras adolfoi (they've spawned almost 40 times....!!)

QUOTE(Coryman @ Apr 13 2006, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am now getting fairly regular spawnings from one of my groups of C. weitzmani. I have yet to witness the event even after many hours of watching. They are definitely do it in the dark types and the do not produce very many eggs, unless there is a fair amount of egg predation and the fact that they are laying at night it's almost impossible to tell. I now have three broods 12, 8 and 21 hopefully they will become more prolific as time goes by.

Ian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users