9 replies to this topic

#1 Gemmini

Gemmini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hi
Last sunday (11th Febuary) i got a breeding pair of Scleromystax Barbatus.

The shop said they have breed once before in the shop and that she is ready to breed again, (her belly full of eggs).
When i got them home i put them in our 3 foot tank which they were sharing with 2 L134 pleco's, 3 other corys and a few endlers.
When they start spawning i didnt want the eggs to get eatten so ive moved them into a clear base 2 foot tank of there own.

Last night he was following her everywhere and it looked like i might have come down this morning to some eggs but nothing and her belly still the same.

Is there anything i can do to help get them spawning??? Or do i just leave them up to it??? how offten shud i be doing water changes??? is a clear glass base ok for them???? And whats the best thing to feed them on???

blink.gif
My boyfriend and my web page..Enjoy

http://www.freewebs....ishys/index.htm

11x L134's
5x L260's
1x L200

8x Barbatus
5x Sterbi cory's
5x Bronze cory's
3x Panda cory's
5x Venezuela Black Cory's
2x Arcuatus Cory's.......... etc

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

The best thing I can do is to let you read Ian Fullers article on Corydoras here and the breeding of S.barbatus here There are also quite a few articles in the breeding section of the articles page here I thought that this would be the best way for you to just read at your leisure and try the methods of these authors.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Gemmini

Gemmini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Feb 18 2007, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best thing I can do is to let you read Ian Fullers article on Corydoras here and the breeding of S.barbatus here There are also quite a few articles in the breeding section of the articles page here I thought that this would be the best way for you to just read at your leisure and try the methods of these authors.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanx will keep everyone updated

11x L134's
5x L260's
1x L200

8x Barbatus
5x Sterbi cory's
5x Bronze cory's
3x Panda cory's

#4 Gemmini

Gemmini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

Ive read loads and loads of articles on breeding these fish. They pretty much all say the same thing. Cold water changes. I've been doing daily water changes for about a week now and nothing. Ive done everything the lfs 'that i got them from'told me to do and nothing. For the past 2 days (might sound silly) ive even tryed placing a towel over the tank so nothing can disterb them. still nothing. Is there something im not doing that i shud be??? is there something im doing wrong????
Can anyone please help???
Regards
Gemmini

11x L134's
5x L260's
1x L200

8x Barbatus
5x Sterbi cory's
5x Bronze cory's
3x Panda cory's

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

You will need to have loads of patience to breed Cory's as plenty of experienced Cory breeders, including myself, may have problems trying to spawn a particular species and someone else can breed them with no problem. Just keep up your weekly water changes and keep them well and in the future you should hopefully achieve your aim.

Remember to keep them in the lower 70s.f., as they don't like to be kept in too high a temperature.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#6 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Too add to what Allan wrote I'd mention that diet can often be a factor in spawning a species. This applies not just to catfish.

#7 wato

wato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:07 AM

maybe shes just playing hard to get~ smile.gif

#8 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Mine only spawn in very turbulent water. I point the outlet of a powered internal filter at the glass and that's where the eggs get put. They don't need anything special but a water change helps, though they spawn days later not straight away. I keep them at about 70F/20C. Much more and they don't spawn no matter what I do.
Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Funny enough Keith the internel power filter method worked for me a few years ago when my C.aeneus laid about 300 eggs on the glass where the filter outlet was spraying...well worth a try.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#10 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

My aeneus 'gold shoulder' also spawn in the outflow from a filter but my nattereri and prionotos both spawn as far away from the flow as possible.

Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users