38 replies to this topic

#1 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hi! this is my 2nd spawn (first that has its own tank), they are so cute, and I'm happy.
They are from 2 bronze females and 2 albino males (I lost my bronze male to a bogwood hole). They differ in size but also in colour, I have 1 (or 2) that is much darker, is it common?
Attached File  peixes_001.JPG   345.73KB   3 downloadsAttached File  peixes_014.JPG   133.32KB   4 downloads
Attached File  peixes_009.JPG   249.47KB   2 downloadsAttached File  peixes13.5_037.JPG   166.28KB   8 downloads
The tank, a 20 liter high; fry at 1 week; fry at 2 weeks and fry at 4 weeks

Cheers,
Joao

#2 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

Hi Joao

nice pic's ,most albino corys are usually C aeneus; yet, It would be interesting if you could keep us all posted with photo's of the young every couple of weeks or so.

BTW, two things biggrin.gif

Can you update your profile so that it reads that your location is Portugal. Location really helps when discussing things.

&

On a footy note smile.gif ,(seeing that this is 'chit chat') although he has had a couple of injuries, Nuno Valente *; I hope will still be playing for Everton for the foreseeable future, and a young player(20), from Benfica who has been on loan at Everton since Christmas, called Manuel Fernandes looks like he has the potential to be a top international player. Hopefully, he wont cost to much to buy, like I said he has potential, but at the moment he needs to work harder for the ninety minutes, any one see his goal against Manchester united recently? biggrin.gif

* BTW see here: - http://www.evertonfc...-madeleine.html
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#3 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Hi! next time i'll try to catch the 'dark one'.

The "_pt" in the name stands for Portugal, anyway I added location to my profile.
As to footy stuff I confess my ignorance, but my 13 year old said "yah, he is good, they are saying he is too expensive for them", he's a Benfica fan.
See you
Joao

#4 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi! They have hatched on Apr17. Caught the "dark one", not the best of pics, its difficult too focus with my cam.
The mother is this "little whale", as we call her for being so big and fat.
Attached File  peixes17.5_025.JPG   114.21KB   3 downloads
This are the "kids", can you comment on the "dark one"?
Attached File  peixes17.5_004.JPG   102.27KB   3 downloadsAttached File  peixes17.5_006.JPG   69.84KB   3 downloads
Cheers
Joao

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:06 AM

They look nice and healthy smile.gif

As we are still on a footy note biggrin.gif my club Heart of Midlothian, the best team in the world of course biggrin.gif have also two Portuguese players in Jose Concalves and Bruno Aguiar, who as far as I know used to play for Benficia.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#6 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

Very healthy looking going by the pics, as we seem to have hijacked this post with a footy note. Allan dont you mean the best PUB football team in the world ? Mind you i dont think it would be hard to work out who i support wink.gif
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#7 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

I was just waiting for you to dive in laugh.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#8 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hi! C. aeneus keep growing strong. The hatching tank was/is(?) overloaded, I've already taken out 80 young fish and there is still more than 20 there.

Took some pics at 8wks
Attached File  11jun_010.JPG   208.16KB   1 downloadsAttached File  11jun_012.JPG   226.11KB   1 downloadsAttached File  11jun_020.JPG   66.59KB   2 downloadsAttached File  11jun_039.JPG   248.57KB   1 downloadsAttached File  11jun_058.JPG   463.78KB   6 downloads

I'm spreading they over the tanks I have, only those that are not overpopulated.
I think the most happy are the ones that are in a 80 lts with only 3 baby mollies. They are 30 and occupy the all tank, not just the bottom. Its funny to see them racing close to the surface, making 'waves'.
Maybe I can get a video of that!

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hi Joao,

I have moved your topic to here on the breeding forum. Your aeneus look really healthy going by the length of their barbels. Is that daphnia that you have in your last pic.? If you want to video them I can put it on the movie page here.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#10 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hi Allan!
I don't remember, could be daphnia or hatched artemia I use both to feed them. I finally managed to culture daphnia, but it's not very productive.
As for the video I have to do it first, maybe with a tripod. I don't know if I'll use the digital camera or the camcorder. Maybe I'll try both and see what comes out. Thanks for the link.
See you
Joćo

#11 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

Very healthy looking biggrin.gif Will look forwards to you getting a video of them all biggrin.gif

#12 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hi! I have a video, not always focused, and not very defined. After 'youtubbing' got worse. But I guess it takes up less space.

Allan, I don't know how to put it in 'movies', please arrange as it's more conveniente.

I think you can see the 'kids' are enjoying the current of the filter outflow.

Cheers
Joćo

#13 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi Joao,

I think they must be on drugs or something biggrin.gif brilliant !. I am away on holiday at the moment (using laptop) but as soon as I get back next week I will get it on the site, on the movie page. Will let you know when it is online. Cheers.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#14 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

wow that is impresive seeing them like that

#15 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

I feed them only regular food, some dry, some live.
Their fathers, the albinos, use to do something similar. They no longer do it, I don't know if there's too many guppies in their tank or if they are more 'mature', no longer displaying such 'childish' behavior biggrin.gif .

Joćo

#16 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

Ah so you think they only do it when they are young wink.gif

#17 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

HI Joćo

Nice video, my C similis do similar when young,
How are the juveniles looking, are they all looking like bronzes, or albino's, or are they a mixture of the two.

visit AsianCatfish.com

Catfish Study Group

#18 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hi! Do C. similis stop doing it when they get older?

I was thinking I didn't had enough experience to respond to clunk, I got my first corys less than a year ago.
I wonder, if I had a big enough tank to keep such a group (30) until adulthood, what would they do?

As to colours, they are all bronze except one that is black with brownish fins, no albinos. I suppose that means that the mothers had no albinos in 'the family'.
And these all carry an albino gene, if it works as a simple mendellian caracter, with bronze as dominant.

#19 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hi Joao,

If your tank is about 2ft long with 30 Cory's they should do all right, to me they look like they are playing in the water current and look like they are enjoying it.

Your movie is now online at http://www.scotcat.c...ing_corries.htm Thanks for that.

By the way all have a look at this video and put your speakers on...brilliant smile.gif

Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#20 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

Hi Joao,

Yes, I agree with Allan's in that
to me they look like they are playing in the water current and look like they are enjoying it.

The tank that I have my young C similis in is a 3 footer, which is filtered by a large sponge filter that has a power head attached to it, and the young did like to 'play' in the current, however, they are now just 3 months old and tend to stay down on the substrate.

Your tank is OK for 30 young,
Most of time I use smaller tanks for growing on my fry, for the first month, but I do more frequent water changes, other wise the water quality becomes compromised, at the moment I have quite a few Scleromystax prionotus in a 12 inch tank, but I carry out a 25% water change on that tank every day.

visit AsianCatfish.com

Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users