#21 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Allan. Great video.

I think my surfing corys have enough space now and are happy. The tank is 80cm, ie about 2ft 8in long. I just thought that to keep them with that much space to adulthood (2-3in) I would need a much bigger tank and I don't have space for it.
They hachted in a 16 in tank and I kept them there until the filters and a 25% daily water change were no longer enough, I know now they are over 100. Then I spread them over some of the other tanks in groups of 5, 10 or 15.
This larger tank had just been set up and still free of fish when i put these 30 there and they are the ones that display more this behavior. There is a 20 in tank, with 15 young and some endlers, where some play in the current but don't race it.
They are a litlle over 2 months now, lets see what they will do by 3 and 4 months.

I've just sold some albinos, from the Nov spawn, yesterday and they still liked to swim around.

I have a small guy that looks like he hit the wall, hard. He is shorter lenghtwise, sort of compressed. He's dorsal fins are all touching and the one just next to the tail is smaller then in the other fishes. Did this ever happened to any of you? Do you think is a mutation or an accident?

#22 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

I have a small guy that looks like he hit the wall, hard. He is shorter lenghtwise, sort of compressed. He's dorsal fins are all touching and the one just next to the tail is smaller then in the other fishes. Did this ever happened to any of you? Do you think is a mutation or an accident?

Hi Joao,

This is what we call a "runt". This does happen now and again with spawnings, not every speciman can be perfect, a bit like us I suppose smile.gif. It can be a form of inbreeding in some species. You can see it in Guppies when they just don't grow and they just waste away. The kindest thing I suppose would be to put it down but if you are anything like me, I am a bit of a coward with this and I like to give them every chance to have some sort of life.

Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#23 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hi Allan!
I've just emptied the tank they grew in, they are 116 smile.gif , including the 'runt'.
The little guy behaves like the others, he feeds and swims well enough to keep growing, and he is not bullied by the others. I think I'll keep him for as long as he seems 'fine'. Should prevent breeding though.
(Maybe one of these days I'll have to revise my 'policy', I already have a hunchback female platty and a vertical swimming male black molly).

#24 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

I am a bit of a coward with this and I like to give them every chance to have some sort of life

I'm a bit like that too! I have a C burgessi from a spawn 18 months ago thats similar in appearance, I aint got the heart sad.gif

not every speciman can be perfect, a bit like us I suppose smile.gif.

Speak for your self Allan, I know I'm perfect cool.gif (but don't tell the wife unsure.gif )
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#25 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

Speak for your self Allan, I know I'm perfect (but don't tell the wife )

Remember I have seen you the morning after the night before wacko.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#26 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hi all!
The kids are 3 months now smile.gif and they still occupy the all tank, and still surf the current.
Some of them started to eat from the surface short after I introduced some young silver mollies in the tank.
I videoed them, I never heard of this behavior in corydoras.

The youtube ref. is

#27 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Hi Joao,

I used to have a breeding colony of C.concolor a few years ago and the parents even fed from the surface upside down. I am sure that it proves that they feel safe and secure in your tank with no other fish nipping at them and it shows in their behavior. Will have your video on soon, Thanks.

By the way I have concolor again, youngsters kindly given to me by Graham aka. mummymonkey, and they are one of my favourite Cory's.

Haven't forgot Graham.....C.bilineatus coming your way soon smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#28 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hi Allan! I thought corydoras wouln't feed from the surface because of their mouth position, obviously it's not true. These don't turn up-side-down, they eat like the livebearers, a little more vertical maybe.

I checked C. concolor, it looks cute, wouldn't mind having some. I'm sad you're all so far away. I still have space for 5 different species in my tanks. And have to find company to my atropersonatus (have 2) and the brevirostrus (only 1).

I think the aeneus are happy, there are no adults in the tank, of any species. They don't fancy the snails thought, they just stand in the way doing nothing.

#29 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hi Allan! Is it working?
Yaa!! It's working biggrin.gif

See you. Joo

#30 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yes hopefully Joo there will be no other future problems sad.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#31 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hi all!
Just to show you my merriest party at 4 months. They were behaving more discrete, or adult, or cory like, but I cleaned the filter and it's been a real party since. The silver mollies decided to join the party but they are still a bit slow.
The video

Hope you like it
Joo

#32 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

Its like one of these old fashioned movies from the beginning of the century when everybody was moving at 100 miles an hour. biggrin.gif Great video.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#33 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

It was videoed in real time. (I think I used a lower definition this time)
It was funny, when I plugged the filter.
First they were hidding, then they began experimenting at the edges of the current, in a few minutes it was total water fun biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#34 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

So instead of a fish tank you have a waterpark for corries laugh.gif
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#35 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I thought I should update this thread but the news are no news.
I think my kids got older and wiser. They no longer surf, not even when I cleaned the filter. There are more mollies now but the corys still outnumber them and the tank is not crowded. Maybe that's it, they just got older.

#36 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

Maybe that's it, they just got older.
Yeh, just like us sad.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#37 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

Could it be that they dont want to go to the waterpark 'cause it's too cold? unsure.gif
Temp in the tank as gone down by 4C since August, it's now at 26C.

#38 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Even the temperature of 26C may be a bit high but acceptable. 30C was certainly high but I would surmise that unlike us further north it must be a struggle to keep your tank temperatures down while we try to keep them up smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#39 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:07 PM

Yes, it's a real struggle. We can put out the lights but it will hurt the plants. We can open the lids to increase evaporation, but I have jumping species and apple snails. And there is no small, not to expensive devise, like the thermostat, to cool the water.
I reduced light, we have air conditioner in our house but don't use it enought to cool the tanks, energy is too expensive. And I kept looking for signs of stress, they all held pretty well, it is a slow gradual rise over 2months and then is lowers slowly too.
I've turned the thermostats on 2 weeks ago, at 25C because I have to keep temps around 26-27 for the guppies and endlers.

The corys don't seem to suffer with that, C.aeneus can even spawn. But I have to check the conditions for C. paleatus, C. panda and C. trilineatus, they don't seem to be growing that well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users