3 replies to this topic

#1 RHS788

RHS788

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

Hi all.
I am thinking about my next project being the reproduction of Panda Corys. The only plans I have are to buy 6, grow them up and go with the basics. I have been able to raise albino cats with some success, and knowing it will take a year or so to raise the Pandas to that phase, want to get started.

I would appreciate any advice that others have experienced due to trial and error.

I doubt that Pandas have the number of eggs such as albinos, but would also appreciate knowing what to expect. If there are others that are close to pandas but would be much easier to raise, that would also be good to know.

I have read all the Scotcat articles that I could find, and look forward to any input.

Thanks,

Randy

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Hi Randy,

I am myself in the process of breeding panda again after a few years. I have been trying to find my breeding notes of a few years ago but I have recently moved my office in the house and everything is upside down so to speak wacko.gif

I had until recently 3 females which were laying eggs and of course nothing coming of them, but I managed to get a male at the last CSG auction last week so I have been busy plying them with live food such as grindal and white worm.

I do remember that they don't lay a lot of eggs but they like to lay them in plant material such as java moss or you could try a breeding mop. Definitely a good choice for your next breeding project as most of panda's bought have been commercially bred for many years now so would be easier to breed than wild caught stock.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 RHS788

RHS788

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Mar 20 2008, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Randy,

I am myself in the process of breeding panda again after a few years. I have been trying to find my breeding notes of a few years ago but I have recently moved my office in the house and everything is upside down so to speak wacko.gif

I had until recently 3 females which were laying eggs and of course nothing coming of them, but I managed to get a male at the last CSG auction last week so I have been busy plying them with live food such as grindal and white worm.

I do remember that they don't lay a lot of eggs but they like to lay them in plant material such as java moss or you could try a breeding mop. Definitely a good choice for your next breeding project as most of panda's bought have been commercially bred for many years now so would be easier to breed than wild caught stock.

Thanks for the input.

Randy

#4 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

My pandas always spawn on leaves near the surface, normally choosing an Anubias that I leave floating for them. They don't lay a lot of eggs but I find that the eggs are usually very fertile and pretty much what I harvest I hatch. At the moment I have around 15 five-week old fry that are growing very nicely. I started them on milliworm for a couple of weeks then moved them onto microworm and/or a mixture. To wean them off live food, which they definitely prefer, I used Liquifry powder. The best part of that food is it shows up if not eaten so housekeeping is easy. At a month I tried them on Grindal worm and that really gets them going. I'm moving away from the Liquifry food towards Tetra Tabimin, which they seem to adore.

I have 16 adults and juveniles in my shoal. I bought six and gained a couple that survived in the tank, was given another six and now have another couple of unexpected additions. It's a lovely, easy to keep cory.
Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users