2 replies to this topic

#1 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

Any chance the male can defend the nest in a community tank? I'm amazed that there is anything left.
I thought he was just waiting for a female to come by but when I started to do a water change I realised there were eggs in the bubbles. They are under the supporting glass at the edge of the tank. Had to start refilling the tank straight away - then I was so busy looking at the nest that the sump overflowed! I'm not going to interfere this time but I may try removing the eggs next time. They look quite similar to cory eggs. Not much chance of the fry making it if they do hatch though with pim pictus, talking cats, midnight cats etc in the tank.
Alison

#2 ali12345

ali12345

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

Well he is making my life very difficult now - keeps building nests! I was lucky enough to see them mating for about 20 minutes. Very similar to cories but slow enough that you can see better.
Alison

QUOTE (ali12345 @ Nov 11 2008, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any chance the male can defend the nest in a community tank? I'm amazed that there is anything left.
I thought he was just waiting for a female to come by but when I started to do a water change I realised there were eggs in the bubbles. They are under the supporting glass at the edge of the tank. Had to start refilling the tank straight away - then I was so busy looking at the nest that the sump overflowed! I'm not going to interfere this time but I may try removing the eggs next time. They look quite similar to cory eggs. Not much chance of the fry making it if they do hatch though with pim pictus, talking cats, midnight cats etc in the tank.
Alison

#3 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Well they do get aggressive, just try putting your hand near the nest!
However defending a nest and defending lots of little fry are two different things. It's likely most, if not all, the fry will be eaten in a community tank such as yours. I've bred them in 3 foot tanks before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users