10 replies to this topic

#1 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:33 AM

Whats a good cory to start off with as far as breeding goes ???? how old should they be b4 spawning and whats the general opinion on set ups ?? ie pairs,trios,groups.planted tank and let them go free survival of the fittest.spawning mops etc etc any help would be appreciated. thanx Neil

#2 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Wow! How long's a piece of string? tongue.gif

There isn't s simple answer, I'm afraid. Some species - my C. aeneus sp Colombia, for example - are mature at seven months. Others take well over a year. That said, there are some species that spawn fairly readily, such as C. aeneus, C. paleatus, C. panda and Scleromystax barbatus, so it's those you might want to look at. All except panda spawn on the glass. Pandas place their eggs on leaves from plants like Anubias but a friend's spawned them using plastic plants.

Current isn't always neccesary. I've recently spawned Scleromystax prionotos and Corydoras nattereri and both put their eggs as far away from the filter outlet as possible, prionotos using the glass and nattereri using Java moss to place their eggs.

Feed a varied, good quality diet. I feed TetraMin or Aquarian flake as the staple food. I also use JMC high-protein granules, Tetra Prima and Tabimin. When I want to get the females to roe up I feed white worm or grindal worm regularly - up to once a day - and add occasional frozen bloodworm for a change.

Barbatus and paleatus like it cool - mine breed at 72F and others breed them cooler. My pandas, prionotos and nattereri like the mid-seventies.

I like to keep my corys in at least trios, wherever possible, and a half-dozen is better. You don't need that many for spawning but I firmly believe that they do better, generally, in larger groups.

Hatching the eggs separately is up to you, really. Some species don't bother with the fry, such as Aspidoras C119, but most will eat any they find. I use ice-cream tubs and Tupperware-style food containers. I add an air stone an a clump of Java moss to be a source of micro-organisms for the fry and to absorb some of the nitrates from the water. Once the fry are free swimming I change about 60% of the water for water from their parents' tank once a day. By a month, when they start to look like little corys, I move them to a tank to grow on.

Hope this helps,
Keith
Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

#3 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Rockdoc @ Nov 25 2008, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! How long's a piece of string? tongue.gif

There isn't s simple answer, I'm afraid. Some species - my C. aeneus sp Colombia, for example - are mature at seven months. Others take well over a year. That said, there are some species that spawn fairly readily, such as C. aeneus, C. paleatus, C. panda and Scleromystax barbatus, so it's those you might want to look at. All except panda spawn on the glass. Pandas place their eggs on leaves from plants like Anubias but a friend's spawned them using plastic plants.

Current isn't always neccesary. I've recently spawned Scleromystax prionotos and Corydoras nattereri and both put their eggs as far away from the filter outlet as possible, prionotos using the glass and nattereri using Java moss to place their eggs.

Feed a varied, good quality diet. I feed TetraMin or Aquarian flake as the staple food. I also use JMC high-protein granules, Tetra Prima and Tabimin. When I want to get the females to roe up I feed white worm or grindal worm regularly - up to once a day - and add occasional frozen bloodworm for a change.

Barbatus and paleatus like it cool - mine breed at 72F and others breed them cooler. My pandas, prionotos and nattereri like the mid-seventies.

I like to keep my corys in at least trios, wherever possible, and a half-dozen is better. You don't need that many for spawning but I firmly believe that they do better, generally, in larger groups.

Hatching the eggs separately is up to you, really. Some species don't bother with the fry, such as Aspidoras C119, but most will eat any they find. I use ice-cream tubs and Tupperware-style food containers. I add an air stone an a clump of Java moss to be a source of micro-organisms for the fry and to absorb some of the nitrates from the water. Once the fry are free swimming I change about 60% of the water for water from their parents' tank once a day. By a month, when they start to look like little corys, I move them to a tank to grow on.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Brilliant keith smile.gif ive been reading up on the breeding factsheets and think i'll give it a go.the only problem i 4see is i work away for 2 weeks at a time and have only got my girlfriend to rely on for feeding and water changes. i'll give it some thought and post any more queries smile.gif i take it you float the tupperware with the eggs in the breeding tank or keep in a temp controlled enviroment ? thanx again , Neil

#4 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

I used to float the tubs in the tanks but lost quite a few spawns when they overbalanced and everything ended up in the tank. I now put them on top of condensation-trap, most of the tanks in my fish house having the lights mounted on the framework so having no hood. The room is heated by a combination of the lights, the few heated tanks and a wall heater so the fry do see temperature changes over a 24 hour cycle but nothing very severe.

I hope your girlfriend is as dedicated as you are because she's going to end up harvesting the eggs and looking after the fry more often than not, I suspect!

Keith
Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

#5 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

HI Neil

Have you read this Scot Cat article on breeding
breeding upon demand!

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#6 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (medaka @ Nov 26 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HI Neil

Have you read this Scot Cat article on breeding
breeding upon demand!

Thanx for that smile.gif its a good article and gives lots of good pointers smile.gif ive got a few other fish looking ready to spawn at the moment so may give them a try first(cherry barbs and white cloud minnnows) my 4 cory's are fairly young so still need to mature some i reckon. oh and suss out that ive got males and females smile.gif

#7 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Rockdoc @ Nov 26 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to float the tubs in the tanks but lost quite a few spawns when they overbalanced and everything ended up in the tank. I now put them on top of condensation-trap, most of the tanks in my fish house having the lights mounted on the framework so having no hood. The room is heated by a combination of the lights, the few heated tanks and a wall heater so the fry do see temperature changes over a 24 hour cycle but nothing very severe.

I hope your girlfriend is as dedicated as you are because she's going to end up harvesting the eggs and looking after the fry more often than not, I suspect!

Keith

No doubt keith smile.gif ive managed to get her more into the hobby herself as her total experience in fish keeping b4 was her 4 year old goldy. now she's got a 2ft tank with mollies,frogs and white cloud minnows given pride of place in her lounge.Over the last year she's been in daily feeding and catching fry from the livebearers so i think/hope we'll be ok.i'll keep you all posted as to my way forward.

#8 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

well a wee update on whats been goin on.came home from offshore and spotted 5 little eggs on my endler/cory tank.popped them into a tub with an airstone and im the proud owner of 5 little peppered fry smile.gif so chuffed they hatched with little or no intervention from me smile.gif so now there breeding im gonna wait and try to induce spawning my self once ive been away and home smile.gif 2 weeks smile.gif also got my cherry barbs to spawn this week so a good news all round smile.gif anyone goin to glenrothes look out for the lad bidding on everything.. first auction and that unsure.gif

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

Nice one Neil smile.gif Sorry I wont be able to meet you at the Glenrothes auction...got a wedding on that weekend....burp! wacko.gif
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#10 boyneburn

boyneburn

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Feb 5 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one Neil smile.gif Sorry I wont be able to meet you at the Glenrothes auction...got a wedding on that weekend....burp! wacko.gif

Excuses,excuses,excuses & I thought that you wre teatotal like me,Allan biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Lang may your lum reek.

www.scotia-aquatics.co.uk

#11 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Feb 5 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a shame alan... maybe another one soon then smile.gif cherry spawn never came to anything...male must be a jaffa or just no good at dancin lol smile.gif better luck next time smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users