Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:49 AM
1) Will the Corys eat the snails?
2) If not can you recommend a snail eating fish for a 10 gallon tank?
3) Are there any safe ways of getting rid of them without harming my fish?
Thanks for the help.
Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:25 PM
You will definitely struggle to get rid of the snails, you would need to take them out every day to have any chance of success and even then its a hit and miss. You could use chemicals for snail removal but I wouldn't chance it as you could put the Cory's under too much stress. They probably arrived as eggs on plants so it is a good idea to clean any new plants before introduction to your tank.
1) Your Cory's won't eat the snails, they will just ignore them.
2) The only fish I know for eating snails are puffer fish but I would not go down this road as your tank is too small for a puffer and they can get aggressive also.
3) As above.
Another method would be to take your 3 Cory's out and into a small container and give your tank a complete clean with a salt solution and leave to dry overnight. You could set it up again the next day making sure that there are no snails there. You should keep half of the tank water, making sure there are no snails or eggs there, and replace with new water and the 50% that you took out. Clean the filter out in the old water before replacing. If you have plants I would not put them back but get new making sure that you give them a clean in a separate bucket with a snail removal chemical or with a salt solution.
Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group
Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:29 PM
Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:01 AM
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users