5 replies to this topic

#1 MaroussiaDK

MaroussiaDK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

unsure.gif Hi everybody,

Is somebdoy can tell me what is the species of my 3 Synodontis ? In the sjop I get them they said that they don't know what it is ! Please help me !

Maroussia
[email protected]
www.catfish-armada.blogspirit.com

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hi There,

First of all welcome to the SC forums and I hope you enjoy your stay.

I personally think that you Syno is a hybrid. In the last 10 years in Russia they have been carrying out hormone breeding of species such as eupterus, flavitaeniatus and nigrita. It looks like a cross between, nigrita and eupterus but this is only my personal view as we can not be 100% certain when these cats come into the trade.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 MaroussiaDK

MaroussiaDK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hi ! Thanks for your answer smile.gif ! But the guy from the shop finnaly told me my 3 fish are Synodontis ocellifer. Do you think it's true unsure.gif ???? Thanks for your help !

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hi There,

I did think of S ocellifer at the onset but ocellifer has a large/high adipose fin which these specimens do not have, and also the eyes look a lot like some of the hybrids that have been entering the hobby.

But whatever they are I'm sure you will enjoy them as Syno's are my favourite cats and I always have a place for them in my tanks. smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#5 MaroussiaDK

MaroussiaDK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:19 PM

Hi again !

Thanks for yout informations ! I also think that my 3 Synodontis are "not totally" ocellifer... Well, I don't care. I really enjoy them ! They are absolutely fantastic fish !
Since there as still very small (7 cm), I house them in a small tank - 60 liters - with 3 Congos tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus) and 3 Congo glass-catfish (they only had 3 in the shop, I've ordered for more of course).

What do you think of this population ? I know the tank is small, but it allow me to see them, since they spend most of the time to hide. When so you think I can put them in a bigger aquarium ? Can I put the 3 in the same tank ? How fast to they grow ?

Thanks a lot !

#6 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

If you keep Syno's together from young they will usually transfer o.k. together into a bigger tank when they start growing, but as with quite a few Syno's you will need to keep an eye out for bullying. As long as you can give each one a hiding place you will have more success with them. Its hard to say how quick they will grow as different feeding regimes will bring different results.

I like your choice of Congo tetras as I also keep them with Syno's, in a 4ft tank with a large angelicus and caudovittatus, petricola and nigrita type.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users