4 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

I recently (3 weeks ago) became the proud and unexpected father of 70+ bronze corys.

i have lost many. sad.gif The surviving ones seem to be growing however. smile.gif

I have a bare half-full 25l tank with sponge filter and small airstone. They tend not to be seen feeding so only feed at night. There always seems to be a load of white matter on the tank floor, maybe from wardleys small fry. I am also feeding JBL Baby 01 but cannot say if they are taking it. It doesn't seem so. As my other post states I have a couple of snails in there, having sex as I write, and some java moss from my main tank. No lighting.

I am removing 2 litres a day and adding maybe 3 to gradually fill lthe tank. This water is not main tank water now but treated water.

What would a satisfactory survival rate for this breeding and how best can i improve?

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hi Graham,

I am rearing some C.bilineatus fry in a bare bottom tank at the moment and I always rub a sponge over the bottom when I do my 2 day water change which lifts the residue that seems to cling to the bottom when there is no substrate and then syphon it out. You will have to watch that you don't injure the fry of course.

Bare bottomed tanks always seem to gather a kind of scum and this can lead to bacterial infections to the delicate fry. I prefer a thin layer of sand on the bottom but circumstances led me to adopt this method at this time.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Dec 22 2006, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Graham,

I am rearing some C.bilineatus fry in a bare bottom tank at the moment and I always rub a sponge over the bottom when I do my 2 day water change which lifts the residue that seems to cling to the bottom when there is no substrate and then syphon it out. You will have to watch that you don't injure the fry of course.

Bare bottomed tanks always seem to gather a kind of scum and this can lead to bacterial infections to the delicate fry. I prefer a thin layer of sand on the bottom but circumstances led me to adopt this method at this time.

I think Iíll use the sponge method and see how it goes. It really is amazing where this stuff comes from. When I siphon with a small bore airline I do seem to get a lot out but next day the bottom has a fair bit on it.

Cheers

#4 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

so it's been about 6 weeks since i last wrote on this.

I managed to save 8 our of 80 which obviously I'm very dissappointed with. These are all in my 150litre tank and are growing fantastically.

I think i hugely overfed them at the start then underfed them later on. At the start i fed them with wardley's liquid food but maybe don't think they needed it for a few days, maybe a week. Is this correct?

Later i gave them dribs and drabs and generally think I stared them because i was afraid to overfeed. sad.gif Next time it will be better I'm sure.

I also had a water problem in that the supply water is 7.8ph and after treating it with conditioner I was getting lost in the science and biology of water hardness and was causing the water to go to 8.4ph mad.gif

I gradually reducd the water ph to that of my main tank, which itself was way over 7.5ph then added the fry and then gradually reduced again to 6.5ph. I dread to think the damage I've done to the poor fish.

The survivors are true survivors.

I now have 14 Bronze cory and 4 bristlenose in my main tank as well as some upper dwellers.

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:23 PM

I think i hugely overfed them at the start then underfed them later on. At the start i fed them with wardley's liquid food but maybe don't think they needed it for a few days, maybe a week. Is this correct?

You may have made the mistake of not leaving them for a couple of days days after they have hatched, as they use up their yolk sac and don't need fed until they have carried out this very important function. After they have used up their yolk sac that is when you can start to feed.
You can feed liquid fry food for a few days after this then go on to larger foods such as fry and growth flake and microworm.

A good starter article for Corydoras can be found on the site here
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users