17 replies to this topic

#1 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi all! please help! I went to the fish store to buy otocinclus affinis (I've been looking for the critters for over 6 months) and bought these, can anyone confirm if they are affinis?
Attached File  006.JPG   478.87KB   6 downloadsAttached File  007.JPG   481.65KB   2 downloads

I had seen them, selling as synodontis sp. and decided I was a cory person (don't have enough space or time to have all the fish I like). Today I didn't resist and bought 2.
I don't know what species they are, they looked quite black in the store and were hidding in a bogwood mostly up-side-down. Now they look beije with brown spots. The store gravel was black, now they are still in a water container.
Took some pics but the container is scratched, and I don't know what are the features I should pic for ID purposes
Attached File  002.JPG   480.62KB   2 downloadsAttached File  005.JPG   464.5KB   2 downloads
Attached File  004.JPG   471.67KB   2 downloadsAttached File  012.JPG   445.05KB   1 downloads
Attached File  013.JPG   487.71KB   1 downloadsAttached File  014.JPG   463.73KB   4 downloads

I'd appreciate any comment, It's synodontis pH range as narrow as it says on the factsheets or they can adapt?
Thanks
Joćo

#2 Bagrus dude

Bagrus dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Your synos are Synodontis nigrita.

#3 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Yes , agree, they look like S.nigrita. They are a tough Syno and can adapt to quite a few environments.

Trying to I.D. Otocinclus can be a bit of a nightmare smile.gif but I am pretty sure that they are not affinis which a lot of Fish Stores put this label on most Otocinclus species. They look a bit like O.macrospilus or a species very close to that. That is the best I can do Joćo.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#4 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Ooops! I'll have a problem some time from now. They'll be too big for my tanks.

I had an accident with the smaller, darker synodont. I put them in a container to make the transition from the store water, that had pH5.5, to my water(8.1), a huge difference. So I kept them there all afternoon, in a dark paperbag, adding tank water ounce by ounce. The bigger was on top of the smaller most of the time, and they were still most of the time. When I was putting them in the tank noticed beije areas on the back of the smaller, it looks like he lost some skin, at least the black layer, on about 1/4 of the back area. I treated the tank with anti-fungus. What can I do? Do you think he will survive?

I know one can not trust the fish stores but I cannot distinguish otos, and didn't observe the synos properly, they looked much darker in the store, thought they were nigriventris. But they are cute anyway, maybe I can find someone to house them when they get too big.
I'm more worried with the wounded guy right now.

And Allan, O. macrospilus are bigger than affinis, aren't they?

Thanks
Joćo

#5 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

Ottos can be a nightmare to id, most stores sell them as O.affinis i think that the ones you have look like O.macrospilus and if memory serves me right they are the same size. Regarding the synodontis if you have treated with an anti-fungal treatmentthen you might not need to do any more apart from keep an eye on the fish
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#6 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

Thanks Clunk! Not easy to keep an eye on him, this afternoon he was in the coconut shell with 2cories, I had to lift it to find him. He seemed fine, but stripped.
The otos are cute, with diamond black marks in the peduncule. But they don't graze the rear glass (green with algae), they prefer to nudge the front glass, the termometer and the heater.

#7 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Hi!
I've seen the wounded synodont today and he is much better smile.gif . He has recovered his dark colour in most of his back, has only two small pinkish areas, one includes the dorsal fin (or spike) that is very narrow. Don't know if the fin can recover.
The other one I see only when I turn the all tank up-side-down, last time I had to take out the java moss, he was under it.
I would say they are not much fun in my set-up, but the aeneus females are now much more out-going, witch is fun to watch, they dig in the gravel like pigs, and hide more in the coconut shell, where I can take a peek.
Cheers
Joćo

#8 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

Glad to hear that your Syno is on the mend. The full dorsal fin may very well return but it could take a while, maybe months.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#9 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:21 PM

Hi!
new cat/ same cat?

My O. macrospilus all died sad.gif ,3 of them in 2-3 days and 1 lasted about 10 days.
Now I found some, under the name of O. arnoldi but I think they look more like macrospilus than the ones under O. arnoldi in the site.
What do you say?

Attached File  014.JPG   753.43KB   4 downloads Attached File  015.JPG   796.04KB   2 downloads

Attached File  017.JPG   896.63KB   4 downloads Attached File  018.JPG   724.7KB   5 downloads

Bought 2 on monday and 4 yesterday, they had been in the store since thursday. They seem fine, hope these survive.
Thanks
Joćo

#10 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

Yes I would say macrospilus. The third image I have of macrospilus in the photo gallery does not look like this species, which has a break in the lateral stripe at the caudal peduncle. I think I will need to work on this Genera again sad.gif

I picked up some of what I think are macrospilus at the CSG auction last month and are still looking fine. I haven't been able to photograph them as I have been busy trying to finish of my new fishhouse and moving fish also.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#11 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 12:39 PM

They are still fine. Sticking to the glass or hanging over some plant. They also like the outside of the baby snails net trap.

I'd like to see your fishhouse, when you're ready. smile.gif

#12 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

I'd like to see your fishhouse, when you're ready.

I will post some pics shortly as I will be writing an article sometime in the future about my new project. I have been busy today moving some of my Cory's to their new tanks. Still to get my water supply connected up but electrics are in and working smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#13 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Oct 6 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will post some pics shortly as I will be writing an article sometime in the future about my new project. I have been busy today moving some of my Cory's to their new tanks. Still to get my water supply connected up but electrics are in and working smile.gif

Still waiting tongue.gif

#14 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

O.K. rolleyes.gif Have started a new thread on the Chit Chat forum. I have images from the very beginning so as to compile an article in the future on the build of the fishhouse which has taken me, on and off, about 7 months now. I am steadily running the old fishhouse down and I will hopefully have it emptied next month.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#15 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hi! Remember my Synodonts? They are beautiful.
The one that got wounded all over his back is fine, he recovered his dorsal fin but the main ray, or spike, is crooked.
They have both grown a lot.

Look

The ottos survived, all 12, and have now beautiful round bellies. They love to graze the underside of the net maternity I keep the baby apple snails in.

Merry Christmas to all.
Joćo

#16 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

Glad to hear that your synos have recovered biggrin.gif Also its good to hear that your ottos all have very nice rounded bellies

#17 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

The ottos survived, all 12, and have now beautiful round bellies. They love to graze the underside of the net maternity I keep the baby apple snails in.

Merry Christmas to all.
Joćo

Mine seem to be doing well also. I am feeding them quite heavily with cucumber and their bellies are nicely rounded. I picked up 2 very small Oto's in the last CSG auction supposedly from Colombia, they seem to be doing well also. I think that now that I am a bit more organised in my fishhouse I am finding that I am water changing more as it isn't a chore that it used to be :-) probably the fish are benefiting from the new regime. Nice to see your Syno's also, some of my favourites are in this genus.

Merry Christmas also Joćo, don't think we will have snow here for Xmas day as it has warmed up a bit. It is now +7c, 7 up from yesterday which was at freezing point all day. :-(
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#18 mjm_pt

mjm_pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

That's great Allan! tongue.gif I'm always late with water changes, my weekly schedule takes about 2 weeks to fulfill huh.gif.
I'm always checking if anyone is in trouble unsure.gif .

Ottos are very fun to watch, since I have 12 in a 70cm tank, they seem to be all over. And it's funny to try to spot as many as we can. We've actually seen the 12 of them at the same time, once.

S. nigrita are beautiful, with those striated lateral fins and the slowly wiggling tails, big whiskers and big eyes.

Weather is kinda crazy, one day is 3ŗC and dry, the next is 10ŗC windy and rainy. But that's normal here.
BTW we had 3 flakes of snow on Jan 29, 2006. Over fifty years since last time.

Have a good...everything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users