• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nadajdui

nadajdui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

This here is Rocky. No idea what species he is, and he won't let me take a decent picture (Big surprise). He's 4" long, and doesn't really have a whole wack of bristles yet, but hopefully one day, when he grows up, he'll get some. cool.gif

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Nice specimen. By the way going by its size and lack of larger bristles, Rocky may be a girl wink.gif
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 nadajdui

nadajdui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

I've been thinking about that, and I've posted his picture on other forums, like plecofanatics and bcaquaria and stuff. They all say he's male, but I'm still not 100% positive. Only thing that throws me off are the bristles between the eyes. I understand there are a lot of species of BN Plecos out there, so I think some of the females get bristles between the eyes, too, just not as long. Is that right? Lol. Caust the bristles between the eyes on Rocky are about 1-1.5cm max.

#4 nadajdui

nadajdui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Here's the best pic I could manage sideways so you can see the short bristles between the eyes.

#5 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(nadajdui @ Sep 3 2006, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the best pic I could manage sideways so you can see the short bristles between the eyes.

Hi, I have raised many broods of common BNs now ans also keep sone starlight BNs. I think yours is a young male, not just the brisles up his nose, which may not get big unless a female in the tank to get his hormones going, but by the shape of his top lip. The lip is broader than a female which has a more pointed face appearance. hes a nice fish. enjoy.

#6 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

Problem with BN's is that there are a lot now being tank bred and actually identifying these have become quite a problem,if not impossible.
A triradiatus also shows bristles between the eyes, which are greater in length on males..
Maybe Rocky should be renamed Rockette?
huh.gif

A triradiatus,male

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#7 nadajdui

nadajdui

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Ugh, will I ever know? Lmao. Is there any way I can tell aside from bristles and the shape of the mouth? Because honestly the only thing I have to compare it to is an immature 3" male Common BN who is just as uncoopertive as Rocky (Rockette?), and it's not very accurate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users