• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirk

Kirk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hi everyone. Think this might be the first time posting here but then again it's the first time I've really had anything to post. Hoping I might get some valuable insight into what might be happening.

I have 5 WC sterbais (3F, 2M) that I recently acquired. I thought I'd see if I could get them to spawn so with a front moving in, I did a water change about 8 deg cooler than tank temp. I initially saw 4 eggs so didn't really intend to do anything about them. That evening I had about 50 eggs but by the time I got set up to do something with the eggs, there were only 5 left. Those sucker sure can munch down fast. Well I went ahead and collected the remaining eggs and ended up with 3 fry. I waited until a few days to let them absorb the yolk sac and again being totally unprepared, I tried feeding them some flake dust but it was immediately obvious that this was too big. I was amazed at how small the fry were. I ended up getting some frozen rotifers which seemed to do the trick. The fry were growing really fast but I started noticing that they were really fat. I mean so fat that they didn't really seem to be able to sit correctly. Tonight I noticed that one of them had died, one was laying on it's side because it's belly was so fat, and one that although fat was sitting relatively normally. They are maybe 3/16" long and to the point that you can see their pectoral fins moving. I don't have any brine shrimp going but do you think it might be the rotifers that are causing this problem? I'm also wonder that if at this size they might be able to take the flake dust?

Thanks for any help.

Kirk

#2 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hi kirk welcome to the forums:) im not that experienced in feeding egg layers fry either but when i recently hatched 4 paleatus cory's i fed them on microworms and a ready made powder fry food...another option is to use liquifry but this needs to be used carefully as it can foul your water pretty easily.

#3 Kirk

Kirk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hey Neil,

I left out that I tried a powdered fry food called First Bites but that was too big as well. Couldn't find any microworms or liquifry so went with the rotifers. What did you use after the powder fry food? I forgot I had the first bites so maybe I should try that now.

Kirk

QUOTE (neil @ Feb 25 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi kirk welcome to the forums:) im not that experienced in feeding egg layers fry either but when i recently hatched 4 paleatus cory's i fed them on microworms and a ready made powder fry food...another option is to use liquifry but this needs to be used carefully as it can foul your water pretty easily.

#4 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Kirk @ Feb 26 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Neil,

I left out that I tried a powdered fry food called First Bites but that was too big as well. Couldn't find any microworms or liquifry so went with the rotifers. What did you use after the powder fry food? I forgot I had the first bites so maybe I should try that now.

Kirk

Yeah first bites are good for fry a bit older.. ive got some powder food called golden pearls that comes in different grades right from egg layer first food 5-50 micron which u can make up in a little water and drop in... have a look at this link and look at gp diets http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/ comes from the usa so u could prob pick it up somewhere if not online smile.gif

Just make sure ur giving them as varied a diet as possible.... frozen brine shrimp should be ok but still a bit large for newly hatched.

heres a link to a usa supplier .... http://www.brineshri...-Diets-c11.html

#5 neil

neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (neil @ Feb 26 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah first bites are good for fry a bit older.. ive got some powder food called golden pearls that comes in different grades right from egg layer first food 5-50 micron which u can make up in a little water and drop in... have a look at this link and look at gp diets http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/ comes from the usa so u could prob pick it up somewhere if not online smile.gif

Just make sure ur giving them as varied a diet as possible.... frozen brine shrimp should be ok but still a bit large for newly hatched.

heres a link to a usa supplier .... http://www.brineshri...-Diets-c11.html

any more luck with the fry kirk? tryin to induce a spawn on my paleatus tonite... hopE ALLS GOOD smile.gif

#6 Kirk

Kirk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (neil @ Feb 26 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
any more luck with the fry kirk? tryin to induce a spawn on my paleatus tonite... hopE ALLS GOOD smile.gif

Hey Neil,

Actually things have gone down hill. The three fry I had seemed to get bloated and eventually died. I had someone on corys r us tell me that rotifers aren't good as a first food. He recommended something called Sera Micron as a first food. I'm going to get this worked out if it kills me. I've got on newly hatched fry from a subsequent spawn that I'm going to try to approach differently.

Good luck with your attempt. Let me know how it goes.

Kirk

#7 sterbai_sid

sterbai_sid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

Hey buddie .I find that it better to slightly under feed the fry in the first few weeks , than over feed
I have a group of 4 sterbai , and i have been picking off 20 or so eggs every day for the last 2 weeks , got fry , eggs and tubs everywhere lol............Sterbai are my favs by far wink.gif
Have a nice day now :-)

Sid

#8 Woo

Woo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Photography, keeping and breeding Corydoras, reading (all sorts) and music (anything apart from rap).

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Kens fish food carries Golden Pearls and at cheaper prices than I have found anywhere else. I also use earthworm sticks that are available from another site that I will look up tonight.

www.kensfishfood.com

Steve
I want to live forever, so far, so good.

#9 Woo

Woo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Photography, keeping and breeding Corydoras, reading (all sorts) and music (anything apart from rap).

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Woo @ Jun 11 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kens fish food carries Golden Pearls and at cheaper prices than I have found anywhere else. I also use earthworm sticks that are available from another site that I will look up tonight.

www.kensfishfood.com

Steve

Anyone needing anything off sites in the US let me know and we will work something out. I have a paypal account, I am not looking to make anything on the deal but to make the food available to the folks back home in Bonny Scotland (and the folks from other places too of course)

Steve/Woo
I want to live forever, so far, so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users