Photo

ID: Synodontis cuckoo/featherfin hybrid?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mame

mame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

hello all, this is my first post at Scotcat,

i need some help identifying a synodontis cat, it is roughly 5 inches long and i have been told it was not a multipuntactus as i first believed it was. i have been told that this syno is a cross and hybrid between the cuckoo and featherfin species. i hope i can get confirmation from the experts in this forum.

thanks in advance.

Attached Files

• Attached File  001.JPG   28.7KB   71 downloads
  • Attached File  001.JPG   48.96KB   55 downloads
  • Attached File  002.JPG   35.15KB   52 downloads
  • Attached File  003.JPG   31.17KB   59 downloads

#2 emjay653

emjay653

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:56 PM

hello all, this is my first post at Scotcat,

i need some help identifying a synodontis cat, it is roughly 5 inches long and i have been told it was not a multipuntactus as i first believed it was. i have been told that this syno is a cross and hybrid between the cuckoo and featherfin species. i hope i can get confirmation from the experts in this forum.

thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice fish. Can't really help with the ID tho...

#3 mame

mame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

hmmmm, i agree that its a nice fish, however, the problem is whether it has the potential to outgrow my tank in short order. its in a 20 US gallon at the moment, and seems to display some aggressive behaviour towards its tankmates = upside down catfish and kribensis, i am worried about it being a s. acanthomias, as shown in this website

http://www.scotcat.c...acanthomias.htm

it would grow up to 12 inches long!?

:o

#4 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

hi :(

I actually think that this is a hybrid,
I believe one of the signs of a hybrid is its coppery coloured eyes
which your photo suggests it has this trait, also there appears to be something quite not right about this fish, can't put me finger on it so to speak but I dont think its S Acanthomias....too many variants.. even the markings and dorsal fin suggests to me its a hybrid just by their definition
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:47 PM

Hi mame,

First of all welcome to the scotcat forums and I hope you enjoy.

Your Syno does look a bit like S.acanthomias but I haven't seen one with a white tip to the dorsal before. The humeral process looks like acanthomias but if you check it out it should be long (as it is) and have, for want of a better word, a kind of raginess to the top of the process. The barbels are the right colour and acanthomias can be troublesome in the aquarium.

I'm not 100% with my I.D. and as you say it may be a hybrid but I don't think that eupterus is involved here. Nice Syno though, make sure that you have plenty of hiding places for it and it may settle down.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#6 ferox

ferox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hi folks, my first post on here, discovered this thread while trying to id my own syno which I think may be a hybrid. Looks fairly similar to yours Mame, but I don't think it's the same.

Attached Files

#7 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

Hi ferox,

Yours looks a bit like an occelifer x alberti but there is such a lot of hybrids around now that it is getting to the ridiculous stage to try and identify them. One of our contributors, David Marshall, has looked into a few of these specimens and you can see some of his Syno articles in the articles section here.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#8 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

firstly hi and welcome to the site biggrin.gif as you have probabley gathered with the above answers it is becoming very difficult where hybrids are concerned sad.gif
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#9 ferox

ferox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (clunk @ Feb 26 2008, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
firstly hi and welcome to the site biggrin.gif as you have probabley gathered with the above answers it is becoming very difficult where hybrids are concerned sad.gif

So I gather! Must make it very difficult buying fish if you don't want hybrids but can't identify fish before you get them home!

Sorry Mame, been here 2 days and hijacked a thread already blush.gif

#10 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:03 PM

Ah but that is where doing your homework first comes in usefull, mind you it dont allways work wacko.gif As all you need is to see a fish that you like the look of and before you know it, it can be swiming around your tank looking the part, just if you get realy unlucky the same fish can end up taking the tank apart ph34r.gif
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users