• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 carly3

carly3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

I have a 10 gallon tank with an Agamyxis pectinifrons (Raphael talking catfish), a large snail, and a cherry barb. I had about 6 barbs, but all but one has died recently due to ich and finrot that I've tried everything to treat with no success. My catfish seems unaffected at the moment but I'm scared that he'll start having trouble if I can't figure things out.
Anyway, my question is this: I read that my catfish my eat or nip at smaller fish. Are cherry barbs too small to live with him? He's about 4" long. He's very shy and nocturnal, so I rarely see him active and am unsure if he's bothering them. Does anybody have recommendations for some new tankmates for him? I want something peaceful that won't try to take his hiding places under his logs and caves. Something decently hardy would also be nice.
Also, any tips for ich treatment would be great. I've read books about it and tons of stuff online and it seems to get better and then suddenly takes over my tank again. I've had my catfish for a year and am very attached to him. I really don't want him to get infected by the parasite.
Thanks!

#2 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

The first thing to say is that a bigger tank would be better for all sorts of reasons.
Apart from that your catfish will happily live with almost all other fish, only very small fish might be at risk during the night. I recommend peaceful fish such as the smaller gouramis, rasboras & danios.

As for whitespot, make sure that you dose with your chosen treatment every three days for at least 2 weeks or for 2 times after the symptoms have gone, whichever is the later. I recommend you do a 30% water change before each treatment and if possible add extra aeration.

By the way - nice catfish, have you heard it croak yet?

#3 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Welcome to the SC forums carly3. Apart from the good info from mummymonkey we also have a factsheet on A.pectinifrons here
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users