• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RHS788

RHS788

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

All I raise to date are aeneus (albinos). The worst problem I have is getting them through the first three weeks. I have about one hundred that are hatching in a container (in the aquarium), and it seems like I lose 70% within the first three weeks.

Here is what I do:
1) Take water from the original aquarium and put the fry in a 2 gallon tank. I leave one side bare on the bottom, and add about an 1/8th inch of gravel on the other end. I add an airstone and keep the temp around 74 degrees.

For food, I give them Wardley's liquid fry, maybe some "First Bites" or add a tad of microworms.

Each day I try to use a small siphon tube and remove the food and replace it. I change about 10% of the water every-other day and I get the water from the original tank.

After about three weeks, the survivers seem to make it OK.

Any ideas for improving the retention rate of the fry?

Thanks in advance.

Randy

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

Not much you are doing wrong but a couple of pointers that I have picked up that might help. Do away with the gravel as it may be harboring harmful bacteria and the clear bottom part of your tank may be gathering a scum that is doing the same. Instead I would put a thin layer of aquarium sand all along the bottom, play sand is good as well.
Put a sponge filter in as this will attract the right kind of bacteria and the fry can also feed of this. You could put some Java Moss in for them to hide in but that is just my choice.

You sometimes lose fry anyway in a spawning but it may help to cut it down.

Your feeding regime and water changes seem fine.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 RHS788

RHS788

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

I may be having a little more luck, as I haven't lost many since the original hatch from Saturday.

Here is what I am doing:
I do have about an 1/8" of flint sand on one end of the 2.5 gallon tank, and the opposite end is bare. I am starting to feed them on the bare side, and will siphon-off the excess food daily.

I did originally add a "home-made" sponge filter that seems to work well. I have always used that approach.

I did take you up on the java moss. The newborn fry are hiding under it, and I figure they will stir around when they get big enough and get hungry. I don't know if they are picking up micro food from it, but it doesn't hurt.

For food, I am trying something different. A member of our local club suggested powdered egg mix. I think it would work well, and am feeding a small amount of that, and I hard-boiled an egg and am feeding a tiny amount of the yoke. The small fry seem to start picking at it.

I think I will try to hold off on the micro worms for a couple weeks.

I will keep you posted and thanks for your reply. I have to get the fry retention down to a better science before moving on to more difficult Corys.

Thanks,

Randy

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Good to hear that your are getting a better yield of fry. Maybe it has taken them a few tries to get healthier fry from their spawning. The hard boiled egg is an old remedy which the older fishkeepers use to use years ago before all of the fancy fry foods came out. Never did it myself, so will be interesting to see how you get on.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users