Urgent help please - Bristlenose eggs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zincubus_*

Guest_Zincubus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

Urgent help please .

I just pulled out my TUFA rock disdlay to enable a good vacuuming session but my MALE bristlenose was reluctant to let go of his piece of rock he and his wife usually just drop out back into the water quite happily . I then noticed about 10 or 15 egg like things but they seemed to be covered in a white mucus or something. Have they spawned and the eggs just rotted or is the white layer a protective cover ?

I put the rock back and added the other pieces and the male bristlenose was back in place on the same bit of rock . Could he be holding some HEALTHY eggs or even young babies ??

So confused I hope I havenít ruined things for the happy couple 

#2 Guest_Zincubus_*

Guest_Zincubus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

He's still fanning either the eggs or young so maybe we may get a couple of babies

#3 Guest_Zincubus_*

Guest_Zincubus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

mmm stopped fanning and left the nest !

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

If you are quite happy to leave the parents in the tank...I take it that it they are in a community tank...you will get the odd youngster appearing and growing. This is what I did when I had mine in a busy 6ft community tank.

The other way is to put them in a species only tank and set them up with pipes and flowerpots. We have an article on this very subject here http://www.scotcat.c...s/article5.html
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users