• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ray

Ray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hi Folks While completing the weekly 25% water change I decided to give the flower pot a scrub. It has been in the tank for 5 months and was cover with algae. Once the task had been completed the Rineloricaria eigenmanni attached its self to it and was obviously getting something. These visits continued for several days between feeding activity on the glass and leaves. After 4 - 5 days visits were less frequent. So the following week I repeated the procedure of cleaning the pot. On completion of the tank clean the Rineloricaria eigenmanni immediately started feeding of the pot again. I wonder if anyone knows what it is getting from the cleaned pot, some minerals perhaps. If so is there something I can include in it diet that will supply what its obviously missing.

The 2 Rineloricaria eigenmannis where bought from a LFS three months ago and have been feeding from the glass and plants, only, from that time. One month ago the smaller of the two died, but they had been feeding OK and where putting on weight. They where shy fish, I would have to search to find them but now I have only one I see him much more often. I feed the fish 3 times a day with a varied diet of flake, sinking pellets, frozen bloodworm & algae wafers.

The tank is 120 litres with a fine gravel substrate on top of planting substrate. It is filtered by two internal power filters which are cleaned monthly. It is planted with lighting on 12 hrs a day and a small CO2 injection. The pH is stable at 6.6 the GH 40 mg/l . KH 30 mg/l NH3, NO3 & NO2 all zero. There is a slight PO4 reading at 0.25

Its tank mates include 2 Corydoras Aeneus, 3 Pangio Kuhlii, 1 Botia Almorae, 3 Colisa Lalia, 9 Paracheirodon Innesi, 5 Otocinclus affinis, & 1 Pterophyllum Scalare

Have you any suggestions as to what it might be getting from the terracotta pot and if I can improve its diet.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hi Ray,

Your setup sounds o.k. to me and the Rineloricria may be getting microscopic infusuria from the pots. The only change I can think of for your feeding regime is to give cucumber a try maybe a couple of times a week. I feed my Sturisoma with this with a small piece of lead stuck through it for the weight and it disappears at a great rate. Also catfish tablet food is great and your Cory's and loaches will appreciate this too. I have tried algae wafers and I have had no great success with them. Unless any other member spots anything else !
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Ray

Ray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Alan They get courgette every couple of weeks but it's only the Oto's that seem interested. It's the JBL novo granomix & novo pleco tablets I give them. I'll try the cucumber. But I thought it was strange the Rineloricaria eigenmanni was interested in the cleaned pot. I would have thought it would have got more infusaria of the pot while it was covered with algea

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Alan They get courgette every couple of weeks but it's only the Oto's that seem interested. It's the JBL novo granomix & novo pleco tablets I give them. I'll try the cucumber. But I thought it was strange the Rineloricaria eigenmanni was interested in the cleaned pot. I would have thought it would have got more infusaria of the pot while it was covered with algea

Yes you would think that they would get more with the algae there also...I just don't think they read the books ;)
I use Tetra Tabimin tablets. Funny enough when I feed my Oto's with cucumber they just ignore it so I feed them the tablets and I try to move them into different tanks with algae coverings...but they are a nightmare to catch.!
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users