• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

I have been collecting armulatus and of the three that are currently together, two appear to be exhibiting behaviors discussed in the few other recorded cases of armulatus spawning or almost spawning. The narrower one, which I had suspected to be male, is biting the fins of the whiter, fatter one which now certainly seems female (wishful fantasy is playing a big part, I'm sure). She has taken to an upside-down clay pot that has a door cut into it. He chases her back into it now and then. I really want this to happen.

Should I do the usual blackwater summer simulation? I'm not going to take it below 6.3, as it is too easy to lose control of water conditions below there. I'm thinking maple leaves and driftwood. I know lots of live food is in order. That's easy with my snail farm, pill bugs and earthworms. Any big don'ts? Should I try to move them out of the oscar's tank?

I might get a heater for the 75 gallon tank so I can play with water chemistry more freely. I am also preparing a maple leaf and oak tincture solution as I type this.

The ideas on place of spawning vary by report. Some suggest leaf spawning, some hint at a bubble-nest cuckoo spawn with hoplosternum, and another report tells of a pair found in a burrow under the edge of a river bank (aka cave spawn). The surface leaves are easy, as is the cave. But the price of hoplosternum cats is a little high and might be pointless.

If you have any advice on what will or won't work, what's been tried and failed or worked, please let me know. I am now up to four armulatus and my newest looks like a female if the guesses I've read are correct about dimorphism.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi Aaron.

Our usual Dorad and big cat expert Wiccat is offline at the moment with a crashed PC. Will be back on line next week and will answer your thread more throughly. I spoke on the phone tonight with Wiccat and she is carrying out the same experiment as you and she thinks that they spawn in the grasses high up in the water but as I say she will be on line later to give a better insight.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:30 AM

Hi Aaron.

Our usual Dorad and big cat expert Wiccat is offline at the moment with a crashed PC. Will be back on line next week and will answer your thread more throughly. I spoke on the phone tonight with Wiccat and she is carrying out the same experiment as you and she thinks that they spawn in the grasses high up in the water but as I say she will be on line later to give a better insight.

Okay.

Quick update of things.
I bought a heater so I will be able to set up the 75 gallon and dedicate it solely to breeding them. I also added the maple and oak 'blackwater' to the main tank after this week's water change. It made everybody spunky. Everything in the tank is from Rio Orinoco, so it makes sense that they'd react positively. Within a few days here I'll have them alone together in the 75gal.

Your comment about surface grass intrigues me. I could do a row of water-level plants in ghetto planters with catfish access. This idea makes a lot of sense, as previous reports always come from people with LOTS of plants in the tank. I just wonder if they are accustomed to hijacking a nest or building their own. I could use a pair of bettas (male giant courting an isolated reg. female) to get a nest up.

#4 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I've got them in the 75g now. I also have a pair of hoplo cats in quarantine and when ready, they will likely be introduced if the situation calls for it.

So, any word on what HASN'T worked?

#5 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hi Aaron,

Very interesting video of a certain pair. O.K. to use for the Movie page on the site? http://www.scotcat.c...vies/movies.htm

Please let us know how you get on as I haven't heard of P.armulatus being bred yet but I am sure it is possible although the Dorads are not an easy family to get to spawn although a lot of Aquarists have now cracked the Auchenipteridae family with a few different Tatia's being bred. I would imagine that feeding and cool water changes could do the trick.

Please let us know how you get on and I am hoping that Wiccat will be online soon when her PC is working again.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#6 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

The pair are behaving differently in their new tank. They freeze when they see me! But they seem to have chosen a piece of wood as a site to cohabitate. The water is tannic and they are eating well. PH is stable at 6.6. I am collecting rainwater now and will add some during tomorrow's water change if I get enough today. I just don't know if they have what they need to breed. Or if they are even different sexes! But this white-bellied youngin' I'm growing out in my 125g might be female, so we'll see about changing out the fish in awhile if nothing happens. I'd probably use the smaller one since the larger one is missing its ventral fins. I don't know how crucial those fins might be to a spawning.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users