• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ferox

ferox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

I note from these pages and elsewhere that Hyalobagrus flavus hasn't been observed to breed in captivity.

I have four individuals (survivors of an original dozen, the rest having been lost to disease they brought in with them) housed in a 30" tank with three Pseudomugil rainbowfish.

Three of the catfish forage continuously throughout the tank, whereas the fourth which is slightly bulkier than the others and I take to be a female spends most of it's time in and around a hole in a piece of bogwood, about 6 inches from the bottom and in a very dark area. This individual feeds normally and appears robust, so my original thought that maybe it was a sick fish hiding away is incorrect, moreover it appears to be defending the area by chasing the others away. This appears to me to be very like breeding behaviour and I'm wondering if there might be a nest or a clutch of eggs in this area which unfortunately it's impossible to see into.

Has anyone observed similar behaviour in this species?

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

I haven't heard of this activity only that the females have a green sheen to the body and you can see this on our factsheet here. I am sure that this species can be bred but so far I haven't heard of any success. Watch this space as they say :)
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 ferox

ferox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

I'll just need to keep an eye on them, and I'll post here if anything exciting happens. Looks like I'll have to shift the little rainbows though.

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

Look forward to any further activity!
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users