3 replies to this topic

#1 Gertbl

Gertbl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

Recently I bought two small Loricaria sp. from a local fish shop. Unfortunately the seller didn't exactly know the name of the Loricaria. He said that the were labelled as Loricaria filamentosa and that the were sent from Colombia. But according to the seller that hasn't mean anything, because his exporter in Colombia is also sending fish that originates in Brazil, Venezuela and Peru and maybe even from the Guyana's.

I made some pictures from the Loricaria's:

This one was made in their fish shop:
Posted Image

This one was made when I just put them in my tank:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one was mad recently:

Posted Image

Hope you guys can help me out here.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi Gert,

Quite difficult to identify to species but I would say it is a Loricaria spp. and probably not filamentosa which would be Dasyloricaria filamentosa. This species is rare in the hobby from Colombia. It looks quite close to Loricaria cataphracta from the Amazon River basin. Just to make sure of the genus Loricaria have feathered sucker mouths which you can see here http://www.scotcat.c...ataphracta3.htm
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Gertbl

Gertbl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

If I compare the picture with that of the Loricaria cataphracta, then it would be a different species. Could it be just a Hemiloricaria parva??

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

If it hasn't got feathered lip barbels it could very well be a Rineloricaria or a Hemiloricaria species probably parva. This genera are notoriously difficult to identify. The second image on the species mini factsheet here http://www.scotcat.c...caria_parva.htm is also doubtfull as it has lip barbels and it may be a Loricaria sp.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users