• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dutoits

dutoits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

I would like a smallish (adult size def.not more than 12-15cm) peaceful bottomfeeder to live in my 120litre community tank. It must get along with an 7cm elephantnose, a 6cm rainbowshark, 5cm sailfin mollie, 4cm swordtail, and a 2cm tetra, also a largish (12cm) 9yr old comet goldfish. Odd collection I know. They have been living together happily for the last 2 years. The newest addition is the elephant nose, a friendly little fella that prefers to come out in light to feed with the others.

I don't want anything that will nip on the comet's tail. I've been reading and looking a lot over the last weeks, but the info I get is so contradictory. I don't want to upset the good "karma" in the tank and at the same time I would realy like a colourful (in either character and/or coat) bottomfeeder.
Had a lot of time for research ! Could not find any that anybody has suggested so far (only corys, but they were so-o-o small & dull looking), & no, I don't really need a cleaner fish, I just like them & will feed them specially, so this is what I came up with;
Agamyxis Pectinifrons - aka Spotted talking cf
Available!; very difficult to find anything interesting at the lfs, but one shop have these and I reserved one (paid but will not collect until someone, somewhere can tell me that they have/had one.)
Does anyone know how long they live?
Research says: Peaceful, excellent com.fish - (very important) - very easy to keep - grow only to about 13cm- although might be hiding mostly - (but my rocks and bogwood are arranged so I can peep in everywhere) - eat especially bloodworm & bottomfeederfood (have that already). Water stats fits in nicely with what I already have in the tank.
And they do look nice - very tiny though, about 2cm - if that much!
Your soonest input will be appreciated

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hi duoits,

First of all welcome to the SC forums, hope you enjoy your stay.
Your choice of Agamyxis pectinifrons is quite a good one along with maybe Amblydoras hancocki. We have an article on both species here which should help you decide.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Catfish

Catfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Jul 3 2005, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi duoits,

First of all welcome to the SC forums, hope you enjoy your stay.
Your choice of Agamyxis pectinifrons is quite a good one along with maybe Amblydoras hancocki. We have an article on both species here which should help you decide.

For the Spotted talking catfish I recommend a tank not too brightly lighted that contains bogwood to allow the Spotted Talking Catfish to hide in the roots. Make sure you change your water in a regime of monthly change. Agamyxis pectinifrons are nocturnal and needs adequate cover.

As no doubt you are aware, when out of the water the Spotted Talking Catfish can create a sound by grating the fin and bones in their sockets and amplifying this sound through their swim bladder----for this reason I am convinced this catfish received the name of Spotted Talking Catfish. http://kamped.com/Catfish.htm

#4 carly3

carly3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Hi,
I just saw your post and had to respond. I absolutely love my raphael spotted catfish. He's very friendly, easy to care for, hardy, and very handsome. I've had mine for about a year now and I've never had any problems with him. He definitely needs suitable hiding places, but is a nice size and those aren't too difficult to find. I had a cave for mine and just added a large piece of driftwood which he loves. I would definitely recommend getting one. I saw a little one at the pet store the other day and was so tempted to get another one, but I don't want 2 of them to fight over hiding spaces. Otherwise I would, because he has always been my favorite fish.

#5 carly3

carly3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

I read that they live up to 9 years in captivity. I haven't ever seen mine nip at my other fish. I just posted a question myself about him bothering very small fish just because mine (cherry barbs) have been sick, but I've never witnessed this behavior. I think it's just due to parasites. I don't think you'd have any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users