• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:catfish..mostly african and asian ones<br />for non-fish things...archeology, geology, cricket and rugby union

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:07 AM

lo all

i know your sposed to put schoutedenis with medium sized fish, but is that because they will bully small fish or eat them or something else?
im wondering this because im tank juggling atm and i fear for my checkered barbs...
cheers

#2 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:35 PM

Hi killa

I did hear many years ago from a guy who said his schoutedenis terrorised his smaller tank mates, however; saying that I have two in a 28 gallon tank, apart from a few ansistrus, the tank has mainly guppies in it, none of the guppys appear to go missing and neither do some small danios I have in there. the tank is mainly used as a dump tank, even found one last month sharing a pipe with a bristlenose. and they dont appear to be bothering the bristle nose fry that came out the cave last month. :D
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#3 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:catfish..mostly african and asian ones<br />for non-fish things...archeology, geology, cricket and rugby union

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:25 AM

ok thanks for that, but i've got 2 more questions :P
will it be stupid enough to try and pick a fight with a 6'' featherfin?, he's very peaceful and this is another option i'm tinkering with just in case you were wondering what a featherfin is doing in a community tank lol. And how big are your schoutedenis?
im so happy my LFS has got them at an affordable price lol..pity the pyjama synos aren't :unsure:

#4 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

Can't see a reason why they would'nt get along, if you do mix them, just keep an eye on things for a while, btw. my feather fin is in another dump tank, again with some more bristle nose and a group of Danio roseus, but he has a pipe all to himself, the feather fin is around 200mm SL & the schoutedeni are around 100mm SL. Oh yes I forgot to mention the other schoutedeni sometimes shares a cave with a 70mm Leiocassis stenomus.

visit AsianCatfish.com

Catfish Study Group

#5 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

sounds good :) i think i'll go with the schoutedeni in my 'bigger fish' tank, (they aren' aggresive) and i'll revamp my community tank at a later date...
thanks again

#6 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:58 AM

well i got em about 3 days ago, he's about 2'' and he's eaten every kind of food i've put in there :D oh and he is in my 'bigger fish' tank

#7 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:32 PM

If its anything like mine, and probably countless others, it will grow quickly and resemble the shape of a golf ball :) They are greedy blighter's but well worth it as they are a very nice Syno for any Community set up.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#8 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

If its anything like mine, and probably countless others, it will grow quickly and resemble the shape of a golf ball

quick question??(@- Scot Cat)

I was asked the other day, Do judges mark a Syno down on points if they are showing an enlarged belly?

visit AsianCatfish.com

Catfish Study Group

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:58 PM

There is an old adage among judges (in Scotland anyway) that you don't take points off or down the points for a species but you award points, and to get back to your question Adrian, some judges will ignore this trait but it is usually the Judges that are not too familiar with Catfish in the main that this crops up in, but if they are doing their job properly they will ask a fellow judge who is more experienced with Catfish for their opinion which is that it will not get the full quota of points for body shape, in that it is the wrong shape if it has an extended belly.

S. schoutedeni is the worst Synodontis for this problem as they are so greedy :) but wonderful fish all the same. Sometimes you can get the odd Corydoras like this but it will also effect their deportment, as all their fins (pectorals, anal and bottom of caudal) have to sit on the tank bottom and if the belly is too extended they will rock on it and again not get the full pointage for deportment.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users