4 replies to this topic

#1 SynoSteff

SynoSteff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum, thought I'd say hi. I am just starting to breed various Synodontis species. I recently lost 2 decorus to a power failure during the night :( I was wondering if anyone knew of a system I could get to warn me of a power failure. Preferably by sms as I am often at university etc. I have seen 1 or 2 on the net but was wondering if you guys knew of anything.

Will hopefully be posting more soon with pics info and progress reports.

Lookin forward to it. Hope you all having a great 2006

Synosteff :P

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hi synostef,

Happy new year to you also and welcome to the SC forums. I think some of the more techy members will have to answer your power failure question :)

Looking forward to your upcoming Syno pictures and hopefully some articles :)
Along with Corydoras the varies Synodontis species are some of my favourite cats and I am never without a few of them in my tanks.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum, thought I'd say hi. I am just starting to breed various Synodontis species. I recently lost 2 decorus to a power failure during the night :( I was wondering if anyone knew of a system I could get to warn me of a power failure. Preferably by sms as I am often at university etc. I have seen 1 or 2 on the net but was wondering if you guys knew of anything.

Will hopefully be posting more soon with pics info and progress reports.

Lookin forward to it. Hope you all having a great 2006

Synosteff :P

I see this is quite old but...

I'd say an SMS type notification is very expensive. you'd need to get a signal into a transmitting device and you might only need this once a year.

What I'd do and you've just put it into my mind is to get an UPS (uninterruptable power supply) so if the power fails the UPS will supply 240V from it's batteries to your heater and filter only or heater only. Not the lights as that would drain the batteries much quicker. The UPS will have a beeping alarm to tell you that it is discharging and the power is off. UPS can be expensive and be careful about getting a cheap one. The batteries won't hold much charge. you would have to replace the batteries every so often as well and they can be expensive.

Alternatively you can wire your power supply through a 240Vac Coil relay and if it trips have a 9Vdc (say) alarm across a normally closed contact which will sound an alarm, light etc.

Personally I'd do the second one (and am going to this weekend). If you like I can send you, or anyone else, the circuit diagram.

#4 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Something like this.

http://www.healthand...to-dialler.html

#5 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Something like this.

http://www.healthand...to-dialler.html

That's quite nifty.

I don't have a landline at home only wiring for broadband but that's a good idea if you want to pay the money for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users