1 reply to this topic

#1 Jess

Jess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

Hello everyone

I have a Synodontis eupterus and I am moving house in June and we will either be moving down south, or to Barcelona. I really want to take him with me. We have another tank with just goldfish in ( we used to have a huge 4 foot x 2 foot tropical tank with about 40 fish including the syno, and 3 corys, tetras, paradise fish, sharks, angel fish and more, but we had a party and someone poisoned the tank - with what I don't know, some kind of detergent - only the 5 largest fish survived, but slowly died over the next two weeks, leaving only my syno, what a trooper!) but we will give the goldfish to a friend to look after. The syno was my favourite in the large tank and I was so happy when he survived! I really don't want to leave him behind!

What are the regulations for taking fish over to Spain?
Would I be able to take him on a plane? How would I keep the water heated? How would he deal with the pressure changes while landing and taking off? Would it be better to drive there and if so how would he cope so long in the car and keep the water filtered and warm (or cool if it is a really hot day)?

would it be better to leave him here? I hope that won't be the answer because I miss him when I go away for a weekend! (I know I am a bit sad ha ha)

Sorry for the million questions!

Hope you can help.
Jess

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hi Jess,

I see that nobody else has bothered to answer so here goes. :)

If you are traveling by Airline you would need to get advice from them as some of them are not keen on taking livestock and some are, so you will need to check this out. If it is okay you will need to double bag your Syno and place it in a small Polystyrene box with FISH THIS WAY UP on it. You will need to watch for it bursting its bag as I had this problem when I brought some Pims back from Peru and most of the bags had burst due to bad bagging back at the exporters.

If you are going to Spain by car you can do the same with the box in your boot. It may be easier for you but may be a bit more stressful for the Syno.

You may like to check out the DEFRA site here for any additional information.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users