5 replies to this topic

#1 pufferin

pufferin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:34 AM

Hi guys!

I have a 55g tank inhabited by Jack Dempsey, severum and Synodontis eupterus catfish.

About the tank. It is running for more than one year with the same fish in it. They all have been juvies tback then, now they are all mature and beautiful adult fish. No aggression.
The problem with the tank was that I bought the severum infected with some kind of worm-parasites. They are not your regular anchor worms but some nasties with irregular life cycle. The thing is that except for severum no fish suffered from the worms - they were just attack the sev exclusively. Nevertheless I had to treat the whole tank. I tried lots of meds and copper and insane water changes. Then I purchased dimilin. Dimilin is suppoosed to eliminate the anchor worms in a month but since the worms are not anchor ones it is taking forever to get rid of them. The dimilin is certainly working but everytime one or two worms are slipping through the treatment cycle. Long story short - I am having the dimilin in the water for several months now. ROutine is make 80-90% water change and treat for two weeks w/o water changes, then 80-90% water change and again treatment for 2 weeks.
Well, no fish ever shown any signs of distress in response to any treatment I ever did to them. They have voratiou appetite and grew rapidly. There were some things happened right after water changes: once severum got transiently sick and once the Syn got strange itch and rubbed himsself insanely on the rock so that even had white patch for a while that healed over nicely afterwards.

Sorry for a long story.
Yesterday I did routine big water change. Usually everybody are very excited after this. And all of them were. Today I noticed that my Syn is acting funny: he is not his usuall active self, sluggish, looks like having a little ripples on ends of his fins. He is reclining on the wall then slip down, move lazily kind of sidways then again tries to support himself face up against the wall. His breathing is fast and shallow but might be normal.
He is totally intact and absolutely gorgeous, nothing is wrong on the outside. I remember that he had such episode of sluggishness a while ago so I also worried about him and even isolated him for a day or two and he ate 2 mollies in the isolation and I moved him back again. Now I am worring again and afraid it can be serious. What it might be?! sad.gif
Two other fellow are fine and even better than ever.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hi There,

Personally I would take the infected Severum out to a tank on its own and then treat it until there is no sign of the worm infestation. I have never heard of Dimilin but I have heard of a product many years ago that treats worms in Sheep and also works on fish but you would need to look into that more carefully. Maybe a vet dealing with fish would be able to help and advice you on the best solution.

Your Syno will be fighting this infection although you haven't seen any worms on him/her. They are a tough Syno but maybe its just getting a bit tired of fighting it.

Let us know how you get on.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 pufferin

pufferin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for answering.

I would love to isolate the sev but now I cannot - it will require min 30g tank, he is big.

These parasites are external and the fact that neither Syn nor Jack Demsey are getting them I can attribute to possible specificity of these parasites - they cannot hook on scaleless Syn and cannot crawl under very tight and thick JD's scales. So, I would not think that their immune system are compromized by the worms.
It could be that the med is messing with Syn but sudy shown that the med is harmless for higher vertebrates, like fish and mammals. For example, rats were fed for 3 months at high conc. and no organ pathology including liver, was found after the autopsy. It is reassuring. Concentrations used for fish are very low.

I told about meds to be just truthful.

The cat is sitting in 10g with air wall, intensive filtering, aquarium salt and a bit of epsom salt. He appeared to be fine on the outside. Looks like he is not in the ain as he was day before yesterday (he even curled - that ws really scary). His breathing normalized. Yesterday he could not close his mouth but today I see that his mouth is closed most of the time.

My guess would be that he swallowed small gravel rock and it was passing through his intestine (it would explain the pain) but, of course, he never tell.

Well, I am going to keep him in the 10g, if everything will be fine I will release him back. BTW, sev and JD look kind of desolate without him. He is really fun and most active fish in the tank - always out on the move and hungry.

I will hate to lose him.

Thanks

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:48 PM

Another thought came into my mind about the 80/90% water changes, this may have proved quite stressful for the Syno as it is in mainly in new water and it is quite a large water change.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#5 pufferin

pufferin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Jul 21 2006, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another thought came into my mind about the 80/90% water changes, this may have proved quite stressful for the Syno as it is in mainly in new water and it is quite a large water change.

Yes, I'd agree. He is not stressed about the procedure but because the Water chemistry is changing sharply, especially nitrates which have to accumulate in large quantities over 2 weeks.
I think I am seeing lights with those worms and will return to reg WCs as soon as possible.

He is fine currently. His mouth now closed and his breathing is normal. He is not in pain. He does not want to eat yet but I think he is sulking on the 10g tank and lack of space.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to release him back. dry.gif

Thanks

#6 pufferin

pufferin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:14 PM

Update:

The cat is alive. he is sitting in 10g though. I'm afraid to put him back to cichlids yet. He lost his one barbel to some infection and it is growing back slowly.

His appetite is back to full force. I do not see any defects on him. Breathing is normal.

Once I stop medicating my cichlids I prob. put him back in 55g. My water changing schedule will be much more friendly for the cat. Now I am changing 70-80% every other week, after this I'll do 50% every week.

Thanks for your support!

--pufferin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users