27 replies to this topic

#21 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

thanks mikev, not seen lizards before , they look interesting. Do you think yourhara are full grown or young? I dont suppose they shop had much idea?
I found mine only ate the frozen blood worm readily to begin with but now seem to try all sorts of things I give them. I think it must have been the whole process of the move and a new enviroment that made them uncertain. but now they are confident they come out in daytime the minute I drop any food in. I am surprised how much they eat!

#22 mikev

mikev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(Irene @ Sep 14 2006, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks mikev, not seen lizards before , they look interesting.

Just as interesting as Hara's but very different in behavior.
Well, something you may want to consider one day. The current combination seems to be safe and it is nice to have two very different types of fish.

I don't know the UK geography all that well, but if you happen to be close to Petersborough, they have even prettier lizards at a store there now.

Do you think yourhara are full grown or young? I dont suppose they shop had much idea?

No, I'll have to do my own research. Since they are wild-caught, they should be of different ages, but they all look alike to me now and all seem to be 1".
With hillstream loaches I can make a good guess, at least: I used to have 6 lizards, 3 young, 3 pretty old, and two of the old ones passed away last month. With Hara's -- no ideas yet.

I found mine only ate the frozen blood worm readily to begin with but now seem to try all sorts of things I give them.

This is the situation here right now. They will come out to check other food, but would not touch it.
They circled a pea yesterday, but did not eat it.
(Nothing wrong with pea's, other fish ate them just fine).

I think it must have been the whole process of the move and a new enviroment that made them uncertain. but now they are confident they come out in daytime the minute I drop any food in. I am surprised how much they eat!

They come out a lot now but I saw very little of eating so far, even bloodworms.
(But I may be dropping too many and they eat when I'm not looking).
There was one scary moment when a Hara was trying to eat a long worm, could not fit it in, and a passing lizard pulled the worm out.

#23 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

thanks mikev for the info. I am not very near peterborough (live in Norfolk) but pass through it occasionally. I will keep an eye open in the shops round here.
I have a few fry common Bristlenose plecs (about 1 inch) in with my moth cats . they seem to ignore each other.

#24 mikev

mikev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(Irene @ Sep 15 2006, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks mikev for the info. I am not very near peterborough (live in Norfolk) but pass through it occasionally. I will keep an eye open in the shops round here.

Here is what I meant by nice lizards in Petersborough:
http://forums.loache...opic.php?t=2448
If it is something you may like, pm Emma, she has a bag of them in quarantine now.

I have a few fry common Bristlenose plecs (about 1 inch) in with my moth cats . they seem to ignore each other.

You are ahead of me (envy!). I have a BN pair (albino) in another tank for 6 mo, but mine are not into breeding yet. The male had his bristles out only for a couple of months, and hopefully the other one will not develop bristles... (I'd rather have a common pair -- they seem to be less destructive and look prettier, but cannot find a female anywhere).

#25 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

wow, really nice looking lizards. my tanks are all a bit crowded at the moment, but if I ever get another tank or the BNs stop breeding.....
If you are ever in North norfolk PM me, I have female BNs you can have.
I am not sure if it is the golden BN or albino, or both, that get a red patch on their back when they are in the mood for mating - but that might give you a clue. If he has a good set of bristles up his nose as well as top lip, than he will breed soon (assuming he has found a cave he likes etc and female is plump).

#26 mikev

mikev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(Irene @ Sep 19 2006, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow, really nice looking lizards. my tanks are all a bit crowded at the moment, but if I ever get another tank or the BNs stop breeding.....
If you are ever in North norfolk PM me, I have female BNs you can have.

While I may be willing to cross the Atlantic in search of a female BN, they would not let me bring it back.
Sorry, I should have specified my location in the profile.
(Thank you very much for your offer!)

I am not sure if it is the golden BN or albino, or both, that get a red patch on their back when they are in the mood for mating - but that might give you a clue. If he has a good set of bristles up his nose as well as top lip, than he will breed soon (assuming he has found a cave he likes etc and female is plump).

And assuming that the other one is indeed a female....it still might be a male that is growing slower than they other one. Well, I'll know in a month or two.

#27 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

hi mikev, sorry did not realise your location!
I am still trying to reseach moth cats, but very little info in the web.!
if you find much beyond scotcat and planet catfish please ket me know.
someone in germany has bred some like mine (erethistes pussillus)but I dont read german!.
do many people keep moth cats in US? the dont seem very common in UK, well not in any shops i've been in.

#28 mikev

mikev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(Irene @ Oct 1 2006, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi mikev, sorry did not realise your location!
I am still trying to reseach moth cats, but very little info in the web.!
if you find much beyond scotcat and planet catfish please ket me know.
someone in germany has bred some like mine (erethistes pussillus)but I dont read german!.
do many people keep moth cats in US? the dont seem very common in UK, well not in any shops i've been in.

My fault, I did not specify it before.

I'll get to researching them eventually, when I have a bit more free time.

TBH, I have no idea about moth cats in the US: I've never seen them in stores and never thought that anything like this even exists. I get more interesting fish from a mail-order place (www.franksaquarium.com) which also happens to be close enough so I can pick up, and once I saw them live I could not resist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users