• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:catfish..mostly african and asian ones<br />for non-fish things...archeology, geology, cricket and rugby union

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

ok for anyone who has moth cats/hara hara (i'm looking in your direction medaka) what sort of tank do you have them in? plz list tanksize, tankmates, decor, ect.
ATM i am tinkering with the idea of adding a small group into my hillstream loach tank...(though i'd have to remove some filters :D )
cheers

#2 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:01 AM

hi k.k.

the tanks that i keep my mothcats in are as follows

my hara jerdoni have a tank to them selves which measures
40cm X 20cm X 20cm
the water is filtered using a small sponge filter
i change 25% of the water on average every third day
there are a few floating plants and a woolen mop on one corner the fish seemed happier hiding in this material than something like java moss, i believe its because as long as they dont make eye to eye contact with each other, they are quite content,, although in the larger mothcats once they have settled in they dont fight as much as the smaller types. other than that there is no other tank decor,,
this is pretty much standard practise for me in keeping all my moths,, i even keep
some laguvia that way to.. obviously the tank size and filtration differs in the larger
types, but how i keep the jerdoni is the normal practise for me in keeping all my erethistidae's.. i keep no other tank mates in with the jerdoni, but. in the type that some call hara hara??.. in one tank one group are by themselves.. and another group do share there tank with scleromystax prionatus,, (the little mothcats, never touched the eggs of the prionotus by the way)in with a couple of erethistes sp are some argentine killies,, and in with some larger hara's there are some.........medaka's :D
saying all this a good few yrs ago i kept 3 of the larger ones in a 80 gallon tank
that was my main display tank in the house at the time they were quite at home ..
with all sorts of mixed tropicals, they dont tend to be aggresive with other fish
just in a main display tank give them plenty of hiding places,,
as to tank mates, they do tolerate a wide range of tank mates ,, but i prefer small rasboras in with them, something from that part of the world,, some books suggest that mothcats need "flowing water"; they to me dont mind this but i dont beleive it is essential in keeping them..
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#3 alfb

alfb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:38 AM

Just checked up on these & they are very nice looking fish not unlike plecs which is my neck of the woods I only found one listing but judging by your post their seem to be quite a few varieties is this assumption correct.

#4 killikat

killikat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:catfish..mostly african and asian ones<br />for non-fish things...archeology, geology, cricket and rugby union

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:24 AM

lol plecs aren't my neck of the woods :unsure: there are 7 species at the moment..according to the factsheets. anyway my LFS don't have any at the moment..so i'll bide my time before deciding. thanks for the info anyway medaka

#5 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

ok
lets open up this one a wee bit..
as to how many are discribed..
has anyone out there got a copy of the scientific description for......
......hara filamentosus..... i dont mean either a listing reference,, i mean the actuall
descriptive written work of this fish..??
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users