9 replies to this topic

#1 grahams

grahams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and hopefully the first of many.Being fairly new to forums,please excuse any mistakes I may make initially.

About 2 maybe 3 Years ago an article in PFK magazine mentioned a Dwarf species of Synodontis which the writer of the article called"Goldeneye".The writer at that time managed a LFS nearbyand during a visit to the shop pointed out the fish in their 3'cube display tank but said it carried a very hefty price tag and had been placed in the show tank because nobody was prepared to pay the asking price.

Since that time I have only seen it again once at a small part time retailers outlet.I have tried to find mention of it on the internet many times since, and all my searching has been a dead end.

The owner of the small retail outfit has said he successfully bred it,and that it spawned in typical cuckoo fashion.The finnage was as the Multipunctatus, which I can confirm, and would indicate a Dwarf Multi,but I can find no mention of the fish in any literature or on the web. The size was smaller than a Petricola.

I have been keen to find this fish and to possibly add it to my collection,and would be grateful to hear from anyone who may be able to shed some light on this particular Synodontis,even if only to say they have heard of it as well.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

First of all welcome to the SC forums and sorry for the late post as I missed this one sad.gif It sounds to me that they may be the "hybrids ", that are so prevalent, especially among the Syno's, in the hobby.

The eyes are usually the first suspicion that they may be so, but not seeing the fish I can't comment any further.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 grahams

grahams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hi Allan,
Thankyou for the reply to my earlier posting.Your thoughts were the same as my original thoughts,but i`m not quite so sure now.The fish themselves are exact miniature replicas of the Multi and are also viable whereas most hybrids are not.I understand your point regarding the eye colour being a bit of a giveaway with hybrid Syno`s but the fish I have seen look a little too perfect to be hybrids.

On the other hand it would make a perfect catfish for the small aquarium so why isn`t it more well known?
The price I accept would be prohibitive as when I first saw them they had a trade price of about 40.00,but I know they breed quite freely.

I don`t think that they could have been bred down to miniature size,as surely that would have taken a lot longer to do,and the only possible cross I can think of would be with Petricola.

The ones I have seen the most are at Maidenhead Aquatics at Harlestone Heath in their 3`cube show tank.The previous manager said they were genuine.

I have to admit I am confused.

Regards,

Graham

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have heard of different dwarf Syno's in the petricola/multipunctatus mould being caught in the Lake from other locations there, so there may be in the future a few new species named from this area, just to confuse the issue a little smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#5 chef

chef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Sep 29 2006, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard of different dwarf Syno's in the petricola/multipunctatus mould being caught in the Lake from other locations there, so there may be in the future a few new species named from this area, just to confuse the issue a little smile.gif

hi all
the dwarf goldeneye i'm told is a true species, and there was one on the bench at the last csg show(bob barnes i think). i'm no expert on this field but i have seen them pop up in shops around my way.
Stuart

#6 grahams

grahams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(chef @ Oct 9 2006, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all
the dwarf goldeneye i'm told is a true species, and there was one on the bench at the last csg show(bob barnes i think). i'm no expert on this field but i have seen them pop up in shops around my way.
Stuart

Hi Chef,

Thanks for answering my earlier post.At last someone else who has heard of them.I believe Bob Barnes is a breeder of Petricolas of some repute and i`ve certainly heard his name crop up before.

I gather that "Goldeneye" cuckoo spawn in the same way as Multis`so in my view it would indicate they are a true species rather than a hybrid.

At least I have a name of someone who might be able to help,but what I don`t understand is if they have been spawned,where are the young and why have so few people heard of them? Intriguing.

I really appreciate your response,and many thanks for that.

Best wishes

Graham

#7 The.Dark.One

The.Dark.One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

See this post for more info:

http://www.scotcat.c...h...

Taxonomic Revision of Lake Tanganyikan Synodontis

#8 IrishCat

IrishCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

What was the final outcome regarding Golden Eye

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hi IrishCat,

Welcome to the SC forums. There has been a paper released by Wright & Page since this last topic on the new Tang.Syno's. I would think that the "Golden Eye" would be S.lucipinnis. You can see the full topic here http://www.scotcat.c...p?showtopic=493

You can also see most of these species on the Mochokidae photo gallery here http://www.scotcat.com/mochfamily.htm
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#10 IrishCat

IrishCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

Thanks a million for your quick reply, I am going to have a good read of the link you supplied.......Tom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users