SNAIL OUTBREAK!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eoolson

eoolson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Herpetology, Scuba Diving, Camping, Photography, and my newest interest Corydoras!

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

Well my tank has been up and running with 3 Corydoras leucomelas for about a month and a half now. The fish are healthy and quite happy. However a few weeks ago I noticed 2 snails. I removed them in hopes of preventing an outbreak. Well, somewhere in my tank they laid eggs. I count over 100 little baby snails now all over my tank. Right now they are still very small, and you wouldn't notice them unless you looked for them, but they will grow and I don't want my Cory tank turning into a snail tank. I don't mind having a few around to help clean the tank, but 100 is far too many. I clean my tank every week, both water change and scrubbing the sides, so what they are eating I don't know. So my questions...

1) Will the Corys eat the snails?

2) If not can you recommend a snail eating fish for a 10 gallon tank?

3) Are there any safe ways of getting rid of them without harming my fish?

Thanks for the help.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

Hi Eric,

You will definitely struggle to get rid of the snails, you would need to take them out every day to have any chance of success and even then its a hit and miss. You could use chemicals for snail removal but I wouldn't chance it as you could put the Cory's under too much stress. They probably arrived as eggs on plants so it is a good idea to clean any new plants before introduction to your tank.

1) Your Cory's won't eat the snails, they will just ignore them.

2) The only fish I know for eating snails are puffer fish but I would not go down this road as your tank is too small for a puffer and they can get aggressive also.

3) As above.

Another method would be to take your 3 Cory's out and into a small container and give your tank a complete clean with a salt solution and leave to dry overnight. You could set it up again the next day making sure that there are no snails there. You should keep half of the tank water, making sure there are no snails or eggs there, and replace with new water and the 50% that you took out. Clean the filter out in the old water before replacing. If you have plants I would not put them back but get new making sure that you give them a clean in a separate bucket with a snail removal chemical or with a salt solution.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 eoolson

eoolson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Herpetology, Scuba Diving, Camping, Photography, and my newest interest Corydoras!

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

Well I'll see what I can do. I cleaned all my plants really well before I put them into the tank, I must of missed a spot. Thanks for the advice.

#4 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hi there, I had the same sort of issue, I got a bit of wood from a shop and imported some snails with it into my 3 foot tank. I used 2 small clown loaches and they did an excellent job. When they were done I moved them to my large tank and i havent seen a snail in my 3 footer since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users