9 replies to this topic

#1 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

Just wondered if anyone can help confirm id? I have recently purchased 3 Erethistes pusillus (giant moth cats) which are wonderful. I am trying to find out all I can about these. -if only to make sure I am keeping them right (water current/temp/etc).

I found a german site with some info and breeding data, but the google translation from german to english is strange! Anyway it would seem this species of moth cat would normally have a white or whitish belly.
not sure if this URL will work from here..(follow erethistes link for more info)
Moth cat info from germany
Mine all have very dark slate grey bellies so I wondered if they are the same species or another similer one.

do any of you have any of these fish and what colour belly have they?

here is a pic of mine which just shows the side of the belly plate.

#2 daniel60

daniel60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

This is what I call Erethistes pusillus:

Their bellies are brown.

#3 The.Dark.One

The.Dark.One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(daniel60 @ Oct 9 2006, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what I call Erethistes pusillus:

Their bellies are brown.

Hello All
The fish in both pictures look like what I think are Hara horai.
smile.gif

#4 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

thanks, I have found a reference to hara horai on fishbase but its pictures show a fish with slightly different shaped head.
Daniels picture is close, but is quite brown wheras mine are grey. maybe they have different colour variations for different rivers.?.
How big is yours daniel? because I have seen similar pics of small mothcats which are brown. mine are relatively large, well 2inches.
the more I reseach the more confused I get. there are several very similar species and some have synonyms.

#5 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

I have found a reference to hara horai on fishbase but its pictures show a fish with slightly different shaped head.

The photo of Hara horai on fish base is wrong. that fish isnt even a Hara; it belongs to the same genus (Erethistidae) but is in fact a Pseudolaguvia sp
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#6 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:18 AM

thanks medaka, you are quite an expert on moth cats I know. but you see how hard it is when even the few web sites have errors! are there any good books, or other web sites you could recommend?
is hara horai a synonym for erethistes pusillus?
cheers

#7 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

Hi Irene

There are not any books that I can recommend as having all the answers to identifying mothcats correctly out there are non mad.gif , when I first got interested a few years ago about mothcats, because of that; I spent the first 16 months or so trying to track down copies of the original work, and then IMHO most condradict each other, the only one that no one has ever queeried is the dwarf anchor cat Hara jerdoni,
and that the difference between a Hara and an Erethistes, is that the pectoral fin serrae on a Hara is out-wardly pointing on the anterior edge of the spine, whereas in Erethistes the serrae are divergent on the said spine. Which on healthy specimens is extremely difficulty to see, if not impossible.

are there any good books, or other web sites you could recommend?

Books are a problem apart from Jayaram, "The freshwater fishes of India" (which you would have to order in)
there are none readily available. As to recommending other web sites.. Planet Catfish is the only one I can recommend at this time.

I will send Scot Cat some photo's for his gallery.. smile.gif
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#8 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

thanks medaka, I shall keep seaching. maybe there are a lot of people who keep these things but dont use the web. I will try writing to the fishkeeping magazine.

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi Irene,

I have now uploaded Medaka's pics to the photo gallery including image of the pectoral spine.
Have a look here.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#10 Irene

Irene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

thanks, yes looks like mine, and looks like they vary from brown to grey, so I guess their belly plates also vary from dark to white, perhaps by river or age or anything.
I am trying to find out about water prameters and current etc to make sure I have my tank set up well for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users