1 reply to this topic

#1 criffa

criffa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hi all!

I've recently got 3 Hara hara's and think that they are great - it's almost nice that they are quite reclusive as catching glimpses of them makes it all the better! But just the other day, i thought i has lost one as i thought i saw bits of skin that looked as if it came from these fish. In a panic, i rummages through the tank and still found three healthy looking haras! Just today, one decided to hide near a piece of slate near the glass, so i managed to get a good look at one of them. On closer inspection, again, i thought it was dead as it had "bits" coming off it. Putting my hand into the tank, he promptly swam away in a healthy manner, but again left bits of "skin" (?) behind. Is this something completely normal or is something wrong? I've seen talking cats sloughing skin like material, but nothing like this. These little critters are only about an 1.5" long at the moment so still have growing to do. Anyone else noticed this with hara?

Many thanks!

#2 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hi

In some quarters, this is passed as of normal "shedding of the skin".
However, I would check your water for nitrates, I tend to use Hara jerdoni in my fry growing on tanks, as I believe that the fish extrude a mucus that helps protect the skin, when there are pollutants in the water, and therefore I use it as a measure against any sudden drop in water quality; therefore reducing the risk of loosing fry. . When I have seen any such "shedding" in any of my mothcats, I always check my nitrates, in every case where I have seen "shedding" the nitrates have been 20mg/L or above. & IMHO mothcats do better when there are very little nitrates present in the water.
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users