• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wolfeyes

wolfeyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hi everyone, I just signed up about five minutes ago because I found ACTUAL INFO about bumblebee breeding on this site. Whoo-hoo! And I was really excited to read the description of how they possibly spawn. One of our bumblebees has been spending all of it's time hidden underneath our biowheel - we would never even see it come out to eat, which isn't normal because they eat like clockwork between 5 and 6pm. As time went by, I started thinking it looked a little fatter than before. Then about two days ago it came out, and it is definitely round and looks dark inside. Well, I can't remember how long ago it was, but we'd recently cleaned the whole tank out and had all the fish in holding containers. We had our guppies/platies in one container together and the two catfish in another. While in the container, I noticed one kept rushing the other, and would catch the other one's head in it's mouth, shaking it. I thought they were fighting (we've had no idea what sex they are) and was worried that one would be dead by the time we got them back in the tank. Well, even after we got them in the tank, the one kept going after the other, latching onto it's head and "croc rolling" it or shaking it. There's really no way to stop them so we just hoped for the best - it looked pretty awful. But now after reading the description of how they spawn -

"he witnessed the spawning with them dashing around the tank with the male wrapping itself around the females head" -

I wonder if they were spawning??? Does anybody have any idea if that would be spawning behavior?? And now the one is definitely rotund and dark inside. I'll be on the lookout for eggs while I wait for anybody with more insight to get back to me on the matter. It's much appreciated - thanks!

Wolfeyes

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hi wolfeyes,

First of all welcome to the SC forums and we hope you enjoy your stay here smile.gif

Sounds very much like there is something going on with your bumblebee cats. There is not a lot of information around on spawnings, which is a shame as I think they a prime candidate for a breeding project. Certainly cool water changes could be the deciding factor in any success with them. Please let us know how you get on as there will be quite a few on the forum that will be very interested in the outcome.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 wolfeyes

wolfeyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

I know I didn't post this reply the right way... I have practically no experience in using forums. smile.gif Anyway, I just took some pictures of my catfish to post here but apparently they were somehow corrupted during the transfer or when I took them. So I'll see if the catfish is out in the open still and try again...

#4 wolfeyes

wolfeyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Okay, here are pictures of the catfish I think might be pregnant. Since it emerged from under the biowheel, it's been breathing heavier than usual almost non stop, and the other catfish has been laying with or on it a lot. They used to lay together a lot when we first got them as youngin's, but for a long time they've kept to their separate sides of the tank, so laying together is unusual.

Attached Files

#5 wolfeyes

wolfeyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:09 AM

(In case you read this forum line and not my "hello" topic, I'm copying this to here as well) - Well, I'm sad to report that my catfish died while I was at work today. I of course considered the possibility that the bulge was in fact a tumor or bacteria or something, but I still thought she was pregnant. And maybe she was after all, and it was coincidence that she died of something else while pregnant. I checked on her at lunch and she was "listing", so I wondered if she was on the way out. sad.gif So right now she's living in the fridge, and I'm taking her to work tomorrow to open her up and see for sure what was inside her (I'm a nurse at a vet's office smile.gif). Here's another question too then, there are these tiny things floating all over my tank. We've cleaned the tank thoroughly, changed plants (fake) and other objects (rocks, etc, all fake), and they're still there. They're too small to know for sure if they move of their own accord, but I'm thinking they must be some sort of bacteria/organism/parasite? They're a relatively recent addition, and now there are more than ever. I just wonder if it had anything to do with the catfish's death. The other fish seem okay and don't have any growths/fungus on them.

#6 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hi, wolfeyes,

Have answered topic in Welcome forum http://www.scotcat.c...=...post&p=2116
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users