• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jaidexl

jaidexl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hi, new here. Sorry it isn't under better circumstances.

1. I have two meds now that I haven't used yet. Methylene blue and Jungle Fungus Clear. I know MB can be used against ich, I've seen the JFC ingredient, nitrofurazone, listed in a few other brands of ich treatment. Which one would you pick?

2. I think I'll be dosing M1+M2 along side to prevent bacterial infection, or should I use the JFC for that? Edit: I just remembered I have Kanamycin soaked spirulina pellets I could feed him, maybe that's enough for bacterial prevention?

3. Obviously, I can't use salt, do any of these meds require smaller doses for scaleless fish? Any med combos here you would avoid?

4. I've read a bit about the ich life cycle, should I warm the tank and wait a day or two for treatment?

Thanks in advance -J

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hi there and welcome to the SC forums.

It is a bit of a personal thing with me.. I just hate adding any medication to catfish tanks and if I do, I half the dosage for scaleless fish. What I would do myself is to higher the Temperature to about 86 to 88f for about five days and this should kill the life changes of Ich.
Just keep an eye on your Otto's for signs of stress and also a good idea is to increase the aeration in the tank as the oxygen supplies can drop the higher the temperature is.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 jaidexl

jaidexl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:13 PM

Thanks Allan, you're the second one to suggest that and I think that's what I'll do. This isn't that severe of a case anyway, it's a new arrival in QT already, so I'll just keep an eye on him to see what develops of it.

thanks for the help -J

#4 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

I also raise the temp of the tank as soon as i see whitespot and increase the aeration in the tank, i find this tends to do the trick avoiding the use of meds, if done at the fist sign of an out break.
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#5 nj2tou

nj2tou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hi! new here, but have had otos for a little while. When my guys got ich (Petco fish aren't the healthiest...) I did some research, as I knew that scaleless fish are more delicate when it comes to meds. During a search I found a site called monsterfishkeepers.com. As you can imagine, they are dedicated to monster sized fish - including catfish. smile.gif

They absolutely raved about Ich Attack by Kordon. It's a natural remedy made from naphthoquinone. It doesn't mess up your bio filtration, and is very gentle on the cats while doing it's job on the ich. It does take a bit longer to get rid of all the ich - but the full life cycle is longer than what standard meds suggest medicating fish at anyway.

My guys were clear of ich within about 5 days and I actually treated them for almost 3 weeks with no ill effects whatsoever! In fact they fattened up very nicely during that time.

I also agree with raising the temp if you chose not to use this and even if you do! Getting the temp into the 80's for at least 5 days should do the trick too.

#6 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

Hi nj2tou,

Welcome to the SC forums. That is an interesting thought, I haven't seen this product in the U.K. but that doesn't mean that it isn't here. Good addition for other similar questions in the future. Cheers.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users