#1 Bigpig

Bigpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

This is my 96 litre tank.
It is a Juwel Rekord, and is 80 cm long, 30cm wide and 40 cm deep.
It came with a built in, internal filter.
I keep it at 24 degrees.
I added another lighting tube, so now it has 2 x 18 watt tubes which I have on 10 hours a day. i have the lights go off for a 2 hour break after the first 5 hours on.
I have put in a fine gravel substrate, with Tropica substrate underneath it. I'm hoping that this will result in strong growth of the stem plants that i have along the back.
These are Hygrophilia Polysperma, Ludwigia, and Vallis.
As you will see, I also have some cryptos in the foreground, with Anubis and Java fern (thin leafed type) attached to the bog wood.
There is also a small amount of Riccia tied to slate.

I made to slate caves myself by chipping a big chunk of slate into workable sizes, and then filing it into the required shapes.

I have 3 small Bristlenose plecs in here. Plus 6 Cherry Barbs, 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows, 2 Black Phantom Tetras, and one Peacock goby. Oh and 7 Amano Shrimps.

I would like to add some Corys, and was thinking of Panda.
What do you think?
Would small corys be happy in this set up.
I had thought to get half a dozen.

Thanks for any advice.
happy days,
Bigpig

Attached Files

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Yes nice setup, like your rockwork but maybe a bit bright for Cory's, I know what you are doing with plenty of light for growing your plants but if you want to add your panda's I would create some hiding places at the back of your tank with maybe more rock/slate or driftwood for the Cory's to retire to if they feel it is a bit bright for them and maybe a small pipe or two for your bristlenoses. Let us know how you get on.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Bigpig

Bigpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Aug 16 2007, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes nice setup, like your rockwork but maybe a bit bright for Cory's, I know what you are doing with plenty of light for growing your plants but if you want to add your panda's I would create some hiding places at the back of your tank with maybe more rock/slate or driftwood for the Cory's to retire to if they feel it is a bit bright for them and maybe a small pipe or two for your bristlenoses. Let us know how you get on.

Thats an interesting point about it being too bright for Corys.
I am planning to add another piece of bogwood, and some more slate/rock work caves.
I was also hoping that the stem plants would grow tall and bushy, and make more shade below them.
Perhaps I will wait until these plants are up a bit before getting the corys.
thanks for the advice.

#4 clunk

clunk

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Catfish

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

I agree with Allan, that it might be a bit too bright in your tank at moment, (looks good though wink.gif ) and his suggestion of more places to hide will do the trick.
the only stupid question is the one you dont ASK!

#5 Bigpig

Bigpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(clunk @ Aug 20 2007, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Allan, that it might be a bit too bright in your tank at moment, (looks good though wink.gif ) and his suggestion of more places to hide will do the trick.

Hiya, thanks for the reply.
I have decided to set up another tank with a bit less light, and keep this one for my plants, and fish that are ok with light.
I have 3 bristlenose in there, 2 of them, (a common, and that odd wee one, see other post) dont seem bothered by the brightness, but one that I suspect is a young Rununculus only comes out in dim light or after dark.
I have been researching the idea of a river tank, with lots of water flow, sandy substrate, wood, and perhaps just a couple of plants. Maybe jave fern, and some moss.
I just need to convince my girlfriend that we have room for another tank.

#6 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

When you mentioned a River style tank I just remembered about a book that I have that shows you all the type setups from Asian & African tanks with a Zaire River Rapids setup through to Marine as well. I have just got it out of my Library again and I forgot how good a book this is if you have a tank style in mind and want a little help and ideas. It is 16 years old but still relevant.

The Complete Aquarium by Peter W.Scott. Published by Dorling Kindersley. ISBN no. 0-86318-603-3. It will probably be out of print but a search on the web or e-bay may throw it up.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#7 Bigpig

Bigpig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(scotcat @ Aug 20 2007, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you mentioned a River style tank I just remembered about a book that I have that shows you all the type setups from Asian & African tanks with a Zaire River Rapids setup through to Marine as well. I have just got it out of my Library again and I forgot how good a book this is if you have a tank style in mind and want a little help and ideas. It is 16 years old but still relevant.

The Complete Aquarium by Peter W.Scott. Published by Dorling Kindersley. ISBN no. 0-86318-603-3. It will probably be out of print but a search on the web or e-bay may throw it up.

Thanks for the tip, I will try to track that book down.
This morning I discovered that one of my Bristlenoses is trying to tunnel underneath the slate caves that I have in there.
Perhaps he needs more hiding places.
I'm going to put some pipes in today to see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users