5 replies to this topic

#1 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

My beloved Leucomelas cory passed away about a week ago. sad.gif He was always very active and out in the open til one day he started hanging more in the cave and only coming out briefly to look for food. This went on for about 3 weeks then I found him on his side and that was about it. I had him for over a year, though and he was full grown already from what I could tell so who knows how old he was. Anyway, he will be greatly missed.

I still wanted cories to clean the bottom of this tank since the other occupants spend most of their time at the top. So, I found this pair of albino's. They were the last 2 in the store at the time. They've adjusted well now and forage around like normal.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

Albino Cory's, usually C.aeneus, are quite hardy and have been around the hobby for quite a number of years now so you should enjoy a few years with them. When you say that you got them for cleaning the tank, this is more of a misconception now as you will need to feed your Cory's with food that will drop to the bottom, such as tablet food, so they will not just get the leftovers from the top feeding fish in your tank. What I can see of your Cory's, they look nice and healthy with all barbels intact smile.gif
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the comment. smile.gif I do also feed my cats Hikari's sinking carnivore tablets. I crush them up so they can eat it easier and they all seem to really like it. This food has fish protein, algae and vitamins so that should cover the bases.

#4 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

HI Kcat

Sorry to hear about your loss, However;
I notice from your photo that you have a blue coloured gravel as a substrate.
A few years ago quite a lot of coloured gravel, once the colouring die used deteriorated, tended to turn the tank water alkaline.
Corydoras Leucomelas coming from Peru will not tolerate high pH,
I am not saying that this is the case here, but have you checked your water quality?

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#5 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:54 AM

I didn't know that about colored gravel! Thanks for the info--will check it out.

#6 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

Just to elaborate rolleyes.gif

Years ago the aggregate used primarily utilised for dye coloured gravel was limestone based, due to it having a porous structure, which made the dye(s) easier to bond to.
The bonded dye tended to act as a barrier between the water and the aggregate, however; over a period of time the dye, and therefore the bond deteriorated and the underlying aggregate then tended to leach alkalis' into the water causing the pH to rise, which had a detrimental effect on the fish that are found in acidic waters.

Two years ago a friend asked me to have a look at his relatives tanks as his neon tetras were always dying, I went along and was told that his platies and guppies do fine, but he can not keep neon tetras. The first thing I noted was that he had multicolored gravel as a substrate and that it was showing white undertones to them, I checked his waters pH and found it to be around 7.6-7.8, I advised him to get rid of this gravel and use a sand substrate instead.
6 months later the guy saw me in a pub and bought me a pint, he now can keep neons alive.. biggrin.gif

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users