#1 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

http://www.scotcat.c...igriventris.htm

I saw these fish at a new pet center recently and almost purchased one on the spot! A little research was in order first but I've come up with some conflicting information. For example the size of tank needed varied from 10 gal minimum to 29 gal minimum. Also most places say it's very peaceful but one says it attacks their other fish at night. And in one place it says they are a bit aggressive toward each other but they should be in groups of at least 3.

So, any ideas before I aquire some of these critters?

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

I would say that an 10gall tank would be too small for at least 3 S. nigriventris, they do better in a group but I have seen individuals in tanks, but they don't tend to do all that great by themselves. A minimum sized tank I would say would be a 24 x 12 x 12 which would hold about 15gall. I have never heard of any aggression with this species and the only thought on that subject is if you don't put enough shelter or plant covering in the tank and then they may get nervous with the bright lights in the aquarium.

Yes a very nice Syno but do make sure that it is this species and not the false-upside down catfish, S.nigrita, as they grow larger and you may have problems later on when they grow.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users