• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 fatcatfish

fatcatfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

Ok thought I better report in. My work has moved most of the tanks to the new shop and we will be tweaking them over next few weeks.
Then I am going to put my fishing liscence to good use and go catch me a monster. Worm the sucker and put him in an 8foot with a mangrove jack.
Local guy told me today that they are not spawning very much yet as the water is still too cold, but a customer has spotted a nest in her creek so should be more soon.
3am..... I gotta hit the hay.
:blink:

#22 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:48 PM

Sweet dreams, and get that rod going :D
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#23 fatcatfish

fatcatfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

as the laziest member of this whole site I can only say the plan is set.
just need time is all
have a :unsure: ummm court case to deal with and then r&r.
:rolleyes:
still here, still good to go
jesus is life distracting though.
still not going anywhere will pull me finger out.... need someone eternally kicking me ass to get me moving atm though!
:D

#24 susanmaree

susanmaree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Allan

this is an old thread but if you are still looking for information I can provide some more detailed/scientific references and also good Aust native forum links as well as an intro to several folk who may be helpful - just let me know.

On a personal note I don't try to keep Australian catfish because they grow too big and are generally NOT good community fish sad.gif I have moved to native shrimp to fill that niche in my native tanks

Susan

#25 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hi Susan,

Yes please any info on your native cats would be great. Since that thread I have since bought "The Field Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of Australia" by Allen, MIdgley and Allen, the updated edition and I don't think I had it out of my hand for about a week after. Such a beautiful book and good info on Gobies also, although I haven't kept many of them I find them fascinating, a bit like my catfish obsession smile.gif

I haven't done many Factsheets on Aussie cats and I feel that they may be getting neglected on the site a little bit. Cheers.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#26 susanmaree

susanmaree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hi Allan

here is some information that may be useful

Books – all have good sections on various catfish - and gobies smile.gif

Pusey B, Kennard M, Arthington A, Freshwater Fishes of North-Eastern Australia. CSIRO Publishing 2004

This is an excellent in depth scientific work that is my ‘must have’ reference book. Available from http://www.publish.c...au/pid/3922.htm
(note there are line drawings not photographs).

Lintermans M, Fishes of the Murray-Darling Basin. Murray-Darling Ministerial Council 2007.

This is another well researched book with a good quality photo of every fish. It is free with free postage within Australia however I am not sure about international requests. There is also a downloadable electronic version so that may be useful. The book is available from http://publication.m...products_id=319

I suggest you have a look around the web site as they have a lot of good information in fact sheets etc.

Schmida G, Freshwater Fishes, Steve Parish Publishing 2008.
This is a small beautifully illustrated generalist book. Definitely worth having.

Web sites
Aquagreen – this is a commercial operation owned by a ‘legend’ in Australian native fish exploration and fish breeding Dave Wilson. Although Dave does not currently list any catfish in his catalogue I recommend that you contact him and ask for his input. http://www.aquagreen.com.au/index.html

Australian Desert Fishes (includes catfish and gobies)
http://www.desertfis...fish/index.html
An excellent web site with good quality information and pictures, referenced.

Australian and New Guinea Fishes Association
http://www.angfa.org.au/
Excellent web site that includes a searchable database. ANGFA members regularly undertake field surveys which are recorded in the database. The ANGFA national publication Fishes of Sahul is of high quality although not a peer reviewed publication. Only members can post to the forum so if you think it would be useful I could post a note for anyone with experience of native catfish to contact you. Let me know if you would like me to do this.

Forum
Aquariumlife is a very active forum with membership open to anyone who abides by the guidelines. I suggest that you post something in the Australian Native section. I have not seen much on catfish BUT I have not been looking either. There are some interesting threads on Desert Gobies with great photos. The forum is searchable.
http://www.aquariuml...om.au/forum.php

I will ask around about native catfish and if I find anyone who may have interesting/useful information I will let you know.

If there is anything else you think I could help with send me an email - as I don't currently have catfish (apart from the corys I am rehoming soon) I don't check this forum very often.

Susan

and if you just want to have a look at a fantastic, well researched, web site about Australian Fish go to http://members.optus...com.au/chelmon/

#27 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Susan,

Thanks very much for your help, some great resources there. I have been to the Desert fishes site but not for a while now....must visit again. Very impressed with the Rainbow site, although I don't keep them this will be a good source for my Judging duties on the Scottish Federation of Aquatic Societies fish show circuit.

Images of Aussie cats are probably my main aim as most of them are very well copyrighted and that as well as other input would be greatly appreciated. Will mail you personally if I need further help and you can mail me if you want if you have any other info at [email protected] Thanks again its much appreciated.
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#28 susanmaree

susanmaree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

Hi

here is a link to a forum thread with photos of Australian Freshwater catfish smile.gif

http://www.aquariuml...ead.php?t=10363

Susan

#29 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Susan....done that smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users