• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hi Graham,

Nice to hear from you again :)

Looking at your fish selection.....maybe more Tiger Barbs as they can be nippy, the more you have the less hassle with them.
The S.multipunctatus prefer alkaline water unless of course if they have been home bred and are more aclimatised.
I have never kept Texas Cichlids but I would guess that they would be somewhat aggresive when growing on,
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#22 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

The barbs were used to cycle the tank and I'll leave them in until they get bullied (chewed) by the cichlids. They seem good tankmates just now. i have a love/hate, affair with tiger barbs. i hate the nipping part of them but love them as a shoaling fish.

Water boards everywhere dose the tap water to alkaline anyway so it doesn't rot the pipes and here it is at least 7.5ph but maybe 8.

#23 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Don't bother aquascaping your tank if you have Texas cichlids. That is all.

#24 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Had a bit of bother there. My new Texas Cichlids had about 50-60 fry and were tearing up the tank and the other occupants. They've been thinned out now, a la Darwin, and there are only a few left which the Texas now ignore. i don't expect there to be any tomorrow once the Synodontis sniff them out. I think the Texans are thinking about another batch. The synodontis are showing what seems to be breeding behaviour as well.

also with the tank, it's 450l (110UK Gal) and has an Eheim 2217 and a Fluval 203 filtering it. It's in quite small room (3.6m x 3m) and has that irritating background noise so I've plumbed it through the window!!! I got a glazer to put in a toughened glass window with a few holes drilled in it for the water and airlines. The filters, UV steriliser and air pump are now outside and I have a noiseless room save for the bubbles. Big difference and a worthwhile exercise. I'm delighted with it.

#25 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

also with the tank, it's 450l (110UK Gal) and has an Eheim 2217 and a Fluval 203 filtering it. It's in quite small room (3.6m x 3m) and has that irritating background noise so I've plumbed it through the window!!! I got a glazer to put in a toughened glass window with a few holes drilled in it for the water and airlines. The filters, UV steriliser and air pump are now outside and I have a noiseless room save for the bubbles. Big difference and a worthwhile exercise. I'm delighted with it.

Now thats unique :D
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#26 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

Now thats unique :D

Posted ImageThe white piping is just used as a conduit and protection for the 19mm tubing to get it round the corner to the UV and filter.

#27 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

Posted Image

That's better. i've got a bit more wood to add as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users