• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NewCat

NewCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

I was just wondering if anyone else out there keeps any Microglanis, as I have a question regarding them.

I currently have two Inheringi's, although I previously had only one and one secundus (the secundus passed earlier this year sad.gif ). I probably see them more often than normal, but most of the time I never really get a good look at them. Often it is just a glipse of them staring back at me from their dark hiding spots during the day. So today, when I decided it was time to clean the gravel in their hiding spots, much to my suprise, I scooped up my female inheringi and was amazed at her size. She had to be a good 6 inches (15cm) in length easily and at least 3/4 of an inch in width at her widest. I snapped a quick picture since the my camera was right there, but the camera is an old digital and my fish pics always come out blurry. Last time I had gotten a good look at her a few months ago, she was about 4.5-5 inches, so I figured she was fully grown. Guess I was wrong on that one.

My question is, is this a normal size? I got her in August 2006 from a LFS and she was only about 1.5in (3.8cm) at most in length, so I figured she couldn't be more than a 6-8 months old at the time (maybe even younger). I've read were these fish were only supposed to get at most about 5 inches, but she easily beats that. Actually starting worry that if she gets any bigger, that she'll find one of my tetra's as a nice meal.

I'll try and post a pic if I can clean it up, but like all my fish pics, they come out rather blurry because of the water and glass distortion.

#2 NewCat

NewCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

Here's two very blurry pics, but they don't capture just how big she is.
Attached File  109_0949_IMG.JPG   293.28KB   8 downloads

Attached File  109_0940_IMG.JPG   293.64KB   6 downloads

#3 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

At first, before I saw the images that you may have a Pseudopimelodus species which can be a lot larger than Microglanis and some are very nasty but it would seem to be Microglanis iheringi that you have. In the photo gallery we have the SL size( from the head to the start of the caudal peduncle) as 3.5cm (3½ ins) so you may be taking the TL (total size) the full length of the fish but even at that it would be around the 4½inch mark. I have seen specimens that are over the norm size and I think that we may, and other websites and publications too, have this cat at too small a size when reaching adulthood.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users