2 replies to this topic

#1 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

My little shark did finally get more aggressive towards the albino cories and then turned on the hatchetfish who he had previously ignored. The best I could do for now was to give him a 10 gal which is too small, I know. I did have some zebra danios and my swordtail in there so I put them all in with the hatchets and catfish in the 16 gal where the rainbow had been.

The shark has grown but is still quite small, maybe 3 1/2 in. You can see him peeking out of his cave in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. So I think this will be a suitable arrangement for now--he has settled in nicely and seems quite content. The problem is I'm not sure if I can get a larger tank anytime soon due to space/time/finanancial constraints. I already have 6 tanks set up and more fish than I need. rolleyes.gif

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

Thats a strange thing about red tails and or rainbow sharks. You can get some that are no problem at all, but I think that you have to find the correct setup for them. i.e. a larger tank with plenty of hiding places. Nice fish though smile.gif
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 NewCat

NewCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

Sharks used to be my thing until I got hooked on cats.

I had a Black Shark that did nothing but hide behind the tank heater for about 2 months. Then when he got a little bigger, he attacked one of my schwartzi's, wounding it to the point where I couldn't save him. I moved him to his own 20L gal after that and gave him plenty of plants, wood, and caves to hide and play around. He was fine for about 6 months, until he outgrew the tank, at which point I gave him to a nearby vet office that had a large 150 gal aggressive fish tank.

I think you should be okay for a month with a Rainbow shark, but I would definitely think about something in a 20-30 gal size minimum. You could add a couple of semi-aggressives if you are worried about such a large tank for just one fish. Just make sure they are the same size or bigger. (I had a trio of Bala's mixed with a Redshark in a 29Gal that got along fine).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users