#1 Kcat

Kcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:22 AM

http://www.kokosgold...showtopic=70538

Here's a thread going at another forum I belong to and one person is insisting they knew of a 6 inch long cory that attacked and killed small oscars. wacko.gif And they're warning others about keeping cories with neon tetras because the cory may "eat them." ohmy.gif

So is there any cory type cat that could possibly fit that description??? blink.gif

#2 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

No. He's mistaken.

#3 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Mmmm! sounds a bit odd to me. The only aggression you will maybe get with Cory's would be the bigger ones such as barbatus males who will spar with other males but aenus must be the most docile fish you can meet. The only aggression that I have ever witnessed, and this was about 20 years ago, was when I was breeding elegans and one of the males had small damage to the dorsal, again maybe males sparring for a partner.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#4 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

6 inch long cory

huh.gif
So a cory @ 150mmSL , I don't know of any either....... IANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

There is a story from years ago of someone diving in the Amazon basin and seeing a brochis species at 150mmSL, I think it was Heiko Bleher, but not sure. However Brochis are quite a peaceful species.

Maybe a case of mis-identification and not a cory at all, just something similar.
Certain large hoplos also can get a bit manic when feeding, but they are not known as being belligerent.
The only other candidates I can think of, are young dorads.
I used to look after a large Oxydoras niger, and it was housed in a tank with some pacu's, it wasn't aggressive towards them; but on occasion I observed it gently mouthing the pacu's flanks, the pacu's always swam off, but the niger never gave chase.

Maybe it was just a case of fisherman's tales?

My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users