• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Arbour

David Arbour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 03:10 AM

I'm a biologist that recently visited Honduras doing some birding. I also have a strong interest in North American native fishes. I went snorkeling in a mountain stream at about 5000 ft. near Santa Barbara in northwestern Honduras. This stream came right out of the ground in a large spring that was the water supply for the city of Santa Barbara. The water was crystal clear and very cold and swift. I dove in a small, fairly deep (5 ft.?) pool and lifted rocks on the bottom looking for fishes & freshwater crabs. I soon found several catfishes that looked nearly identical to the Stonecat (Noturus flavus). They varied in size from about 4 inches up to 10 inches. The adipose fin was connected to the caudal fin just like in Madtoms. They also had 3 or 4 randomly placed, very small brown pin-point type spots on the bodies of each individual. They shared this stream with freshwater crabs and some type of fish similiar to a Goodeid. The closest village to this site was called La Zona. I would appreciate any information on the identity of this catfish. Thanks!

David Arbour
De Queen, Arkansas

#2 Bagrus dude

Bagrus dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

Noturus is not found south of the border, and ictalurids do not occur south of Mexico ( I am not sure if they occur naturally in Nicaragua, but they are definitely absent naturally in Costa Rica). The catfish you saw were young pimelodids of the genus Rhamdia.

#3 David Arbour

David Arbour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:34 PM

I'm a biologist that recently visited Honduras doing some birding.  I also have a strong interest in North American native fishes.  I went snorkeling in a mountain stream at about 5000 ft. near Santa Barbara in northwestern Honduras.  This stream came right out of the ground in a large spring that was the water supply for the city of Santa Barbara.  The water was crystal clear and very cold and swift.  I dove in a small, fairly deep (5 ft.?) pool and lifted rocks on the bottom looking for fishes & freshwater crabs.  I soon found several catfishes that looked nearly identical to the Stonecat (Noturus flavus).  They varied in size from about 4 inches up to 10 inches.  The adipose fin was connected to the caudal fin just like in Madtoms.  They also had 3 or 4 randomly placed, very small brown pin-point type spots on the bodies of each individual.  They shared this stream with freshwater crabs and some type of fish similiar to a Goodeid.  The closest village to this site was called La Zona.  I would appreciate any information on the identity of this catfish.  Thanks! 

David Arbour
De Queen, Arkansas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users