9 replies to this topic

#1 susanmaree

susanmaree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

Hi

I know that various similar corys will school together but I am wondering if there is any information, or if anyone has experience, to show what degree of similarity is required?

I have a friend who has one lonely albino cory and I have 3 C habrosus that need a new home but I am a bit concerned that the difference in colour (more than the difference in size) will mean that they won't school together.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

Hi There,

In essence Cory's don't really form a school as such but seem to "hang out together". It is true that most species that we house in our tanks go looking for food together but in other instances they also break away singularly, also I think the addition of your 3 habrosus to the one albino cory will be more of a plus point than the albino being on its own. They may not move around together but I am sure it will be more happier in Cory company.
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Nov 15 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi There,

In essence Cory's don't really form a school as such but seem to "hang out together". It is true that most species that we house in our tanks go looking for food together but in other instances they also break away singularly, also I think the addition of your 3 habrosus to the one albino cory will be more of a plus point than the albino being on its own. They may not move around together but I am sure it will be more happier in Cory company.

I've found that the grouping patterns change with numbers, Allan. One or two will behave (for them) unnaturally because there aren't enough bodies around. Get to four to six and they'll begin to relax. By the time you get to a dozen or more you'll see that there are sub-groups of similar numbers that the fish keep to within the overall group, individuals moving from one sub-group to another.

As to similar colour patterns being more likely to stick together, I'm not sure that's a fixed thing. My gossei and seussi groups never mixed to any extend but the nattereri and prionotos groups do but, similar to what I mentioned above, the two species associate but within that the species tend to keep to their own.

It may be that fish with very different patterns don't associate because they live different lifestyles (if that isn't too anthropomorphic!) I have some C141 and rabauti in the same tank and you rarely see them together but, from observation, the spotted fish spend much more time in the open while the rabauti spend almost all their time in amongst the plants and bogwood. Something similar occurs with my arcuatus and melanotaenia. The former are always visible but the latter only appear if I disturb the tank.

Keith
Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

#4 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

Something similar occurs with my arcuatus and melanotaenia. The former are always visible but the latter only appear if I disturb the tank.

I think it must be something to do with our own parameters, water, plants, how many in a group even light sources as my melanotaenia are always buzzing about at the front of the tank especially when I approach with food. Opposite on the other rack of tanks I have elegans, which I collected in Peru in 2000 that never appear apart from feeding time, and the tank next to this I have weitzmanni that are very shy and again next on I have panda that are always showing at the front and also bilineatus that are never shy since I moved them into my new Fishhouse, but previous to this in my old fishhouse, you couldn't see them. Strange smile.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

#5 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Oddly enough my bilineatus are much less shy since I moved into my new fish house also! They are in a bigger tank though so that may have more to do with it.

#6 Rockdoc

Rockdoc

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle touring (BMW K1200LT)<br />Ponds and aquaria<br />My grandchildren! :)

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

To some extent it may be the amount of cover available. The C119s I sold at the weekend started off in a tank with just a small amount of Java moss in it, which had come from the hatching tub - I add a portion to try and help keep the water a bit nicer and to provide microorganisms for the fry. As they grew so did the moss, until there was a huge lump of the stuff. As the amount of cover increased the fry became more skittish until they were rarely visible unless I'd put some live food in.

Keith

Keith

Synodontis eupterus
Rineloricaria lanceolata; Chaetostoma thomsoni; (?)Hypostomus cf punctatus
Scleromystax prionotos
; barbatus
Corydoras arcuatus; aeneus sp Colombia; semiaquilus; septetrionalis; simulatus; sterbai; panda; similis;
habrosus; hastatus; pygmaeus; narcissus; melanotaenia; robineae; paleatus; C035; C042; C089; (?)C133
Brochis splendens

#7 susanmaree

susanmaree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

thanks for all the information - I am always impressed by the depth of knowledge and experience on this forum - and the thoughtful posts.

My friend with the lone albino cory has acquired three others and they are sometimes together and sometimes go their own ways - which seems consistent with the information here. I will see if she would like my 3 as well - even if they don't actually school together they will be company and 7 corys should be fun to watch in a 4ft tank - heavily planted with heaps of interesting wood, mosses etc etc.

once again thank you for the help

Susan

#8 boyneburn

boyneburn

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Nov 17 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oddly enough my bilineatus are much less shy since I moved into my new fish house also! They are in a bigger tank though so that may have more to do with it.

I see you've made the move at last Graham.There will be no stopping you now!

Lang may your lum reek.

www.scotia-aquatics.co.uk

#9 mummymonkey

mummymonkey

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Corys and any other small fish.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (boyneburn @ Nov 23 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see you've made the move at last Graham.There will be no stopping you now!

Moved the last fish this afternoon. Trudging through the snow with buckets of fish is not for the faint hearted!
I'l try and get some pictures this week but there is still work to be done.

#10 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

You mean its snowing up there tongue.gif
Allan.

at ScotCat
Catfish Study Group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users