Albino Bristlenosed babies!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Woo

Woo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Photography, keeping and breeding Corydoras, reading (all sorts) and music (anything apart from rap).

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:31 AM

I returned home on Monday morning from a weekend away to find what I thought were some form of golden snails dotted all over one end of my tank only on further inspection did I realise that they were ABN fry.

I would hazard a guess there are between 30 and 40 of them and definitely some more eggs in with the big male. To say I am one happy aquarist is an under statement. At first I didnt pay him much attention as I thought he was just checking out the new real estate. HA!

They are currently with roughly 7 or 8 other ABN's from juvenile to Mum and Dad size. If these rascals keep on like this they are going into my 55 gallon tank as a breeding colony.

I also while away picked up half a dozen C. Sodalis and half a dozen C. Ephippifer.

That puts me at 10 different Corrys I am trying to breed.

Off to bed with a smile.

Steve

I want to live forever, so far, so good.

#2 boyneburn

boyneburn

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

Nice one you are on a roll now.Once the BN's start they forget to stop.
Lang may your lum reek.

www.scotia-aquatics.co.uk

#3 Woo

Woo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Photography, keeping and breeding Corydoras, reading (all sorts) and music (anything apart from rap).

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (boyneburn @ Nov 25 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice one you are on a roll now.Once the BN's start they forget to stop.

I read in this article it is probably the male releasing pheromones into the water that sets things moving. Maybe it does it for the other bristnoses as well.

http://www.fishchann...nose-pleco.aspx

If anyone has any ideas of how big a tank I need to put the baby's in to get them to maximum size please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance

Steve

#4 medaka

medaka

TopCat @ ScotCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Asian catfish, Corydoras

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

HI Steve

When I was breeding BN's I grew them on in a 30" x 16" x 12",
However, I filtered the tank with a large external power filter that I cleaned out every 18 to 21 days.
Its my old addage; I look on it as I am not keeping a tank, I am keeping water.
Feeding BN's so that as in the wild where most of the day is taken up feeding & growing; and I try to duplicate this, as best I can. Feeding in quantity usually has a dire effect on water quality, so plenty of water changes as well needs to be carried out in order to keep the water , "sweet",
My son asked "who was Elton John dad"?
I replied "He played keyboards son, for Marc Bolan"!

My Hearts belongs To Everton

visit AsianCatfish.com

Joins the worlds premier Catfish Society
Catfish Study Group

#5 boyneburn

boyneburn

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

I do small water changes everyday.I try & siphon off all the crap & then refill the tank again.
Lang may your lum reek.

www.scotia-aquatics.co.uk

#6 Woo

Woo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:55 AM

Update on the numbers, without any exaggeration at all I can safely say there must be between 125 and 150 of the rascals. Being fed on Ramona lettuce leaves and Hikari algae wafers.

Growing like weeds and will definitely need a bigger tank than the 20 they are in. I was recently given a 51 gallon tank weird dimensions 48 x 13 x 19 and that will be their new home once the move is completed.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users