Photo

Sturisoma panamense (Royal Whiptail Catfish)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

Merry Christmas everybody. smile.gif

I took a load of plants to the fish shop the other day and came home with some seachem stuff and two juvenile fish named above. I am keeping them in my main tank http://www.scotcat.c...h...post&p=3497

The tank has a little aeration at night and minimal CO2 dosing as the plants are going a bit mental . Is this suitable as i've read they might need more aeration? The tank also gets mighty warm and i'm thinking of housing the filters in a fridge to cool the water.

#2 scotcat

scotcat

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Catfish, especially Corydoras and Synodontis. Reading about catfish and Photographing them.

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi Graham,

There are conflicting reports on keeping this species. I have never kept them but it is believed that they don't like the p.H. to be too low and would be good to aim for the middle ...p.H. 7 or thereabouts. Again there are different views on the temperature and again I would aim for the middle 75f (24c) and hardness up to 25dGH. They do like planted tanks where they will lie on the leaves of Amazon swords etc. There is a short article on the keeping and breeding of this species here
Allan.

Log on to the site for all of your catfish needs
at ScotCat
and also the Worlds premier Catfish Society at
Catfish Study Group

#3 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (scotcat @ Dec 26 2008, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Graham,

There are conflicting reports on keeping this species. I have never kept them but it is believed that they don't like the p.H. to be too low and would be good to aim for the middle ...p.H. 7 or thereabouts. Again there are different views on the temperature and again I would aim for the middle 75f (24c) and hardness up to 25dGH. They do like planted tanks where they will lie on the leaves of Amazon swords etc. There is a short article on the keeping and breeding of this species here
Thanks Scotcat.

I try to aim for 6.8 to 7 pH but they might have to swim in warmer water for while until I get my fridge installed.

#4 Graham

Graham

TopCat @ ScotCat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

These two fish angry.gif They are still in the tank, cunningly hiding at the back and I've never seen them move. They seem happy though as they have grown a bit on hikari sinking wafers and Sera Catfish chips as well as any other un-eaten food. They have a fair bit of competition and i'm just a wee bit concerned they're not getting their share.

it might be that they need a couple of pals with them so will have a look about for some other ones. I have plenty space for some more fish.

I'll keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users